Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in April, I sold my CB360 to a nice(and cute) girl from Madison, WI(just up the road a ways). I took my plate off, gave her the bike and title, she gave me my money in cash, and on her way she went. A few days later, she had a car accident, and her car was totaled(she's fine though thankfully). They towed her totaled car to the scrap yard and crushed it. The problem is, the title to the bike, not yet transfered and still in my name, was still in the car. So I went to the DMV and got a replacment title for her.

Now here's the problem. Our only contact was in person at my house(when she came to look at the bike and pick it up a few days later), and through e-mail. I told her I had the replacment title, and she never got back to me. I've sent her a few more e-mails,with no reply. So, I have my plate, my money, a title in my name, and she has the bike. She's not answering e-mails, and I have no other way to contact her. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
call the cops and sell it to me,... my friend is DYING for a decent (read CHEAP) priced japper

·
Registered
896 Posts
Try craigslist? Myspace? Strip Clubs and Dive Bars (okay, she might not be there, but at least you'll have fun looking). I have a similar problem. The title for a vespa 50 is still sitting in my filing cabinet and the fucker still owes me 150 bucks. I figure he needs the title more then I need 150 bucks, so he'll pau eventually. Okay, similar, not the same. You got a cute girl, I got a skinhead guy that has no business on a vespa that size.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
it's only been 3 months. unless she didnt have isurance or liabillity only it prolly aint crushed yet.
was her car really creamed? or was it more than 10 years old? i know what it takes to T/L a car.
tell me what year/make/model the car is and i'll tell ya where it is.....

if she has no insurance(or liability only) it's sitting in a towing storage lot or the lot of a body shop building a daily storage fee(40 bucks or more a day). if the car is junky and paid off most folks will walk away from these fees. it takes a lot of time and paperwork to get rid of some of these cars if the owner doesnt co-operate, and tey often dont.

if she has insurance and the car is truely deemed a T/L it will be moved to an insurance auction lot to avoid more storage fees.

shit!!!! i just re-read the original question... it seems to me you have 2 options..
1)be a dick and take the bike back be cause legally it's yers
2)keep lookin' for her and hook her up with the new title and be a hero, and maybe get laid!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Her car wasn't all that, earily 90's econobox, already pretty beat up. It wouldnt take much to total it. I don't particularly want my bike back, and she did pay me in full. Since the bike's still in my name, is there any way this can come back to bite me?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Bugman said:
Her car wasn't all that, earily 90's econobox, already pretty beat up. It wouldnt take much to total it. I don't particularly want my bike back, and she did pay me in full. Since the bike's still in my name, is there any way this can come back to bite me?
This thread is useless without pics of the babe.:D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Bugman said:
is there any way this can come back to bite me?
yes there is. this will happen more often with a car, but it can happen with a bike.
call or go to yer local DMV tomarrow and tell them you no longer own it. if they ask who bought it(they wont) just say you had a for sale sign on it and you didint catch the guys name.

if the chick that bought it is less than law-abiding she could wreck it and leave it. that could be fines(tickets/towing/storage) that could be traced back to you.
or it could break down or run outts gas on the side of the road and she walks away from it. could run into the same kinda fines. and even though it's not really yer bike thees fees can stick to you.

even if this issue hadnt come up checkin' what cars/bikes the DMV has you recorded as owning is something you guys should look into.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I once had to pay for a car that was impounded that I had already sold. They sent collections after the person I bought the car from (who also didn't send in a release of liability). Since it was my friends brother who was going up for the bar to be a lawyer and having something in collections could fuck him over I ended up paying. He was doing me a favor by not sending in the release of liability so I had ample time to register it. So I paid $200 bucks more for the impound (the car was auctioned off) then I sold the car for. Live and learn I guess. I wouldn't be so worried with the bike, but chances are if she hasn't registered it she probably hasn't insured it, so it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Bugman said:
Since the bike's still in my name, is there any way this can come back to bite me?
I agree with BEATCAD, You should notify the dmv that you sold it. I don't think there is any way this can cause you problems but what the hell. You have the title in case she contacts you for it and no harm will be done by telling the dmv it's not yours anymore. In NJ you need to turn your plate in to the dmv. They give you a receipt. That pretty much says "not mine anymore" Then you need that to cancel the insurance. She'll call and ask for the title the day after you tell dmv!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.