Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...
Just picked up a pile of parts that i'm told will be a '72 Triumph 650 Trophy when I put them all together. Needs a bunch of engine work first.....
I'm gonna need a crankshaft, pistos/rings, a cylinder, connecting rods, and I'm sure a ton more by the time she runs.
So here's my questions:
What crank will fit my engine? Will this one work?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4653696710&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
I'm guessing the ones that say "standard" in the item description mean not metric, and won't fit. What year did they go from standard to metric anyhow??? I know what the _.10 journals means as far as what has been done to the crank itself, but how will that affect the engine? Will the connecting rod bearings or anything else relating to being _.10 change performance, longevity, or reliability?
Here's the cylinder I was checking out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=290000315546&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Being .60 over, will any set of .60 over pistons/rings probably fit OK or will I be looking at expensive machine work?
Finally a frame question.....I have a hardtail for this bike too and was wondering what I should use to weld it on. I have a MIG and a arc welder, but I'm guessing it needs to be TIG welded. Any advice???
Thanks
Johnny

·
Registered
344 Posts
Fly I'm not a trump guy, but i'd take a guess means Standard means it's not "over" i.e .10, .60 etc...

If it's been freshly bored to .60, .60 rings should drop in if it was bored to that years ago, then it all depends on the condition of the cylinders.

Last time i checked Trumpet hardtails were bolt on no?

Also i'd advise an Intro if you want any more responses from anyone...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
hey there fly welcome onboard - what you running at the minute?

you say you are told what it will be... do you know for sure? if not bang a couple of pics of what you have engine wise up on here and just get it verified - could save you some cash in the long run... thre are a load of folk on here that know a whole heap of shit between them

moonshiners - there are bolt on or weld on rear sections, the rear section of an old triumph bolts on to the front loop so you are basically replacing like for like if you bolt on but there are weld on sections available too

as far as weld on rear, a bit more permanent - well personally i like to use my arc gear if my life depends on it - i can get much better penetration and a stronger weld but it takes more dressing off etc... someone who is better with mig would probably say mig is good for it but its personal to me that... and tig -- i know nothing about it other than i cant afford the gear ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh snap!
Thats the crank I been watching!

The aftermarket bolt on triumph hardtails are only for 63 - 70 unit frames. 71 - up went to oil in frame and require a weld on hardtail cause theres no provision to bolt anything on to. In my opinion it makes for an odd looking frame with the fat OIF backbone, but the tank covers it anyway. As far as welding it on goes, take it to someone experienced with tig welding to do it - your life depends on it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
youll be fine with .10 over journals, etc. etc. etc. however be a little cautious of buying used cranks like that and always expect, even though it may not be the case, that if it says .10 over with a "light polish" that a light polish may be a regrind to .20 same with jugs.

journal bearings youll have to by new anyways so that doesnt matter.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off.....sorry about forgetting the intro! I'll post one in a few minutes.
It's definately a '72, I was just making fun of my quality purchase...it sure doesn't look like much right now!
I guess I'll go ahead and buy all that stuff together and start piecing it together!I'm gonna have alot more questions!
The frame section is a weld on for 71'-72' Triumphs. I think one of my buddies can get access to a TIG welder, so I'll probably go that route if you all suggest it!
Thanks guys!
Johnny

P.S. The only thing I saw in the ads for '72 Triumph stuff was from about 3 months ago and he had a reply that says someone was gonna buy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts