Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a motor shop frame with no numbers or markings on it I also have good titled sportster neck I can use
Thinking about putting the frame in my jig to swap the necks, so then Id have a titled platform to start my build!

Is this a bad idea?

technically as long as the vin isn't altered I should have a problem

any advice would be helpful!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you take it to daytona - myrtle beach - sturgis or anyplace else that has a gathering they will impound it and you wont get it back

locally as a bar hopper you will be fine with out colors

we see in the shop a couple a year when the guys travel and do not have the eyes dotted and the Ts crossed but some people know better then others

just me take others experience different things

Reactions: Drift

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Yes, bad idea. A nice motorshop frame is a lot harder to find than a titled sportster frame. Sell the motorshop frame to someone with a titled pre 69 motor.
That may be legal in Aus but here if you find the right a-hole cop he will ruin your day as the law requires an original frame for the register a bike by engine number to be legal.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Here in England you are not 'Legally' allowed to alter a frame without having it tested & certified by the government, .... yet bolt on hard tails, Trike rear end, Extended Forks, Tall Bars etc are all legal to do,
but, as soon as you weld on a hardtail or rake the neck, even drill a hole in the frame to run wires, you legally & by letter of the law, should have it tested, ......
but in reality I don't know anyone here, going back to the early 70's, that has ever had a hard tailed or Raked frame tested or even checked by the cops,...
things are a lot easier to do & get away with Chop wise in England,
there are no handlebar height laws, no sound laws, no EPA or Smog testing, no requirement for mirrors, turn signals, lights, chainguard, front mudguards,
but they will nail you if ya don't have a legal size licence plate or no Front brake,..
they turn a blind eye to lesser things as long as your safe & can stop & their speed cameras can see ya licence plate ya rarely get followed by cops or get tickets,
all ya gotta do is learn where all the speed cameras are & ya fine !! ......
& if you lose the log book (Title) it costs £20 ($30) & ten days to get a new one in ya hands, no inspections no questions, people lose things all the time, & a title is no big deal here,
I never understood the DMV in NJ & why they make everything so feckin hard to get done,

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
They made it even harder - you now can only go to the correct DMV that does what your want and only one person is aloud in the building at one time and you need to get a appointment even to do any of that

and they act as if your bothering them the entire time. The 1/2 hour they give you if you need more time make another appointment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts