Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the neck job that was hiding under 30 years of bondo on my 64ish Triumph, nice huh? (sorry for the small pics, i think you can click on it and enlarge). It looks like the downtube has been extended, and possibly the top tube 'tweaked'.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Bicycle frame Bicycle part

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

I want to take the frame back to a stock rake and shorten the front end. The way I see it I have 3 options,
1. cut and reweld
2. buy a used front frame
3. buy and aftermarket front frame

I am guessing that repairing might be the cheapest, but I am not sure about that and how it would turn out. I like the look of the stock frame with castings as opposed to an aftermarket frame. I am kind of new to this stuff so I am looking for any input as to which way might be preferable. I think for me I would like to find a used front frame, so if you know anyone who wants to sell one let me know.

I am just about ready to tear the bike down and rebuild. I have attached some pics of the bike as it sits now.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Tire

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Beard Wood Art Wrinkle Tree

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Wheel Bicycle Tire Land vehicle Crankset

Automotive lighting Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Light Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

The king/queen seat is for sale (I can't post on the swap meet yet). Asking $75, its from Bar Enterprise in Cal. good shape.

Synthetic rubber Composite material Auto part Metal Artifact

Tool Bicycle part Bumper Walking shoe Composite material

Composite material Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part Tool

·
Registered
456 Posts
The neck casting is very rigid and probably not affected. Usually they section out a part of the backbone and bend the casting back. The concern here is more of how the backbone was spliced back together.
Your front brake is supposed to have an adjustable linkage between the arms rather than that fixed plate so that the shoes can be adjusted to work together.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I kind of like the way your bike sits in this picture. Any idea how much the front was extended? I'm thinking of doing mine soon.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
IS the VIN even still there? Hard to tell in the pics but it looks like it's gone? If you're not worried about the VIN, an aftermarket frame would be the cheapest and best bet. I've fixed frames worse than that just because they had a good VIN on them and I had the paper to go with, but to do it correctly and in a workmanlike fashion, someone is going to charge you what you'd spend on a brand new frame.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IS the VIN even still there? Hard to tell in the pics but it looks like it's gone? If you're not worried about the VIN, an aftermarket frame would be the cheapest and best bet. I've fixed frames worse than that just because they had a good VIN on them and I had the paper to go with, but to do it correctly and in a workmanlike fashion, someone is going to charge you what you'd spend on a brand new frame.
I found a replacement front loop on ebay and am currently assembling the bike. Neither the old frame or the replacement one had a vin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.