Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference in different styles of neck braces on a frame? I know there's infinite variations/designs for the piece that braces the neck, but there seem to be 3 main ones that i've noticed - the OEM-style bar, using plate steel to make a gusset, and then no brace at all (i.e. Indian Larry's bikes). Are these variations just for looks, or is there a purpose for each?

·
Registered
264 Posts
The plate is usually installed between the backbone and the support bar as a filler so it can be molded when using a low mounted tank.Removing the lower bar is a cosmetic improvement while you're grinding all the other unused castings and bracketry.Removing the lower bar as Indian Larry did does not have any effect on the integrity though any holes from the removal should be welded shut. The web area or key lock area on the neck is often cut out too. -Strat.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I disagree. Removing the support brace or a neck gusset reduces the strength of the frame for sure. That doesn't mean that people don't remove them--they must just not worry about it.

I would run a support bracket or a neck gusset, either one is fine.

stratocaster said:
Removing the lower bar is a cosmetic improvement while you're grinding all the other unused castings and bracketry.Removing the lower bar as Indian Larry did does not have any effect on the integrity though any holes from the removal should be welded shut. The web area or key lock area on the neck is often cut out too. -Strat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts