Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got the original tanks off of my 1980 fxwg. i replaced them 'cause they leaked; i got them welded; they leaked; i got them welded; etc., etc. the leaks were where the mounting tabs are. i guess the vibrations just got to them. anyway i bought new tanks and put these up on a shelf several years ago. i had intended to make a mailbox out of them, but never did. now i am thinking i might be able to cut the inside wall out of both of them and make a narrower one-piece tank bor the bsa.

i sort of like the peanut tank that's on there now, but it only holds one gallon (+/-) of gas and you HAVE to stop for gas every 25 miles or so unless you like walking.

anyone ever seen harley tanks narrowed and welded together like this? how did it turn out? did you like the way it looked? keep both filler caps or lose one? got any pix?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
pretty common mod actually. they're called "axed" tanks. look good imo. there's some pics scattered around this board, i'm sure somebody will post a couple. most folks keep the dual caps

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
atch said:
anyone ever seen harley tanks narrowed and welded together like this? how did it turn out? did you like the way it looked? keep both filler caps or lose one? got any pix?
The tanks on WR racebikes are pretty similar to narrowed fatbobs, except that the right hand tank holds oil. I'm planning on narrowing a set of flatside tanks for my WL (eventually). A friend did this with stock fatbobs, though they're not welded together. I really like the look. You could use both sides for fuel, or weld in the appropriate fittings for the right side to be your oil tank.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx guys. i did a search for "axed tanks" and only came up with a couple of pix, even though they were discussed several times.

anyone got more pix i can see?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Go to Paughco.com and check out the catalog, the sell a bunch of axed tanks. That'll give you some ideas.

atch said:
thanx guys. i did a search for "axed tanks" and only came up with a couple of pix, even though they were discussed several times.

anyone got more pix i can see?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts