Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im starting to redo my shovel. Im am putting her on a diet. Haha! So i want to do away with the dual disc wide glide front end and go to a narrow glide. My question is this. What narrow glides are better (If any are)? Is a sporty front end ok to use on a bigtwin? I know the stem is smaller on the sporty. Anything i need to watch out for?

So i guess i need to schooled on narrow glides.

Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
I suggest a late model 39mm fork off a Sporty or Dyna, (best fork HD ever made IMO, 'cept for the 1200S). Cheap, plentiful and parts/mods are easy to obtain. They have a 1" stem and should fit right onto your shovel without a problem. I believe your shovel has neck cups which I'd recommend changing out to get the lower fork stop. Here's a set with a fork stop that works with the narrow fork.
http://www.liquidchopperstore.com/m36600.html

·
Registered
438 Posts
1988 till now on Sporty's and I think FXR's got them the same year. Dyna's had them from 1991 till only a few years ago, (not sure when the newer 49mm fork ended up on them, 2006?)

·
Registered
92 Posts
be mindful of axle size too. the moco went to 1" in the 2000's. i like my showa 77-83 or somthing it bounces like a big ass caddy when you go through some bumps. theres a few guys out there to who are manufacturing narrow trees to fit the legs you have

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: Skinny glide mighty fine

Ya know, I pulled my skinny glide offa my Superglide and put wide glide on there, and I gotta tell ya, it handled INFINITELY better with the skinny glide. The wide glide may look cool and massive, but the lightness and nimbleness will be evident as soon as you let out the clutch.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Just my opinion.

The early drum brake narrowglide (through about '72) is kinda spindly, and the two year only Superglide tree is kinda hard to find.

The 35 mm fork is a good choice. Make sure to get big twin trees as the Sportster trees are either 7/8 or 15/16 during most of these years. I'd favor the Showa (after mid '76) over the earlier Kayaba. Also the '78-'83 dual disc model of these forks is a direct bolt-up to the calipers you already have.

The 39mm fork '87 and newer is really nice, maybe the best looking of the bunch. As Punkrock said, you'll need to change the bearing cups so you'll have a fork stop. Sportsters by this time had a 1" neck, so they'll all (Sportster, Dyna, FXR) fit, though you may have to trim off the lock tab on the Sportster lower tree. You'll need new brake parts for this one if you intend to have a front brake, and as has been said, some are 1" axle, so you'd need a wheel to match (or new wheel bearings in an earlier sealed bearing post 2000 wheel.)

Another option is narrowed trees to fit the fork tubes you already have. Mullins, Custom Cycle Engineering and others make custom trees for this setup, and some guys have bored out 39 mm trees to work with 41 mm forks. Plenty of meet there. A search will find some information on this. You'll still have to change out the wheel/brake setup.

·
Registered
967 Posts
just make sure if you buy a front end from someone ..make damm sure its not bent? put the axil in it and make sure it lines up..i"ve been burnt 2x here lately on front ends with bent tubes..real hard to tell with them off..but I just take the tubes to my local machine shop and they press roll them back like new,,still more $ take em apart and roll the tubes..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts