Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Good: I love my bike, I built it over the winter at work while I was supposed to be working, with help from all sorts of mates. But the best bit though is I bought it as a stocker, cheap. What the owner didn't know was that it has an 80inch stroker motor, it's so bloody quick that with the springer and rigid rear it makes the ride.....well... 'interesting'
The Bad: 6 weeks ago riding home from a day out it all went tits up, the bike stopped and refused to run. It was then, after lots of fucking around, I discovered that one of the roller rockers had split and destroyed the valve spring in the process, smart!. 'cos of the high power engine almost touching the bottom frame rails I had to take the whole bloody thing out to get to the busted parts.
The Ugly: Possibly the whole bike but definitely the really nasty late model front brake master cylinder and switch gear, who the fuck designed that!

By the way DicE issue 10 is out on Friday the 15th, and it's great, and it's got an extra 8 pages so now we have 76....mmmm, thats right, a whole 76 pages of fun filled frolics.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
you could get rid of the front break all together or go mechanical with a 45 style that would clean up the bars - dig the sled, straight to the point kind of ride, must be hard keeping that front wheel down with the HP coming out of the motor - AJ

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
that is fucking beautiful! quite possibly the best looking sportster (powered) motorcycle I have ever seen.

lovin the fact you built it on the "job"...did you get the rocker and spring sorted?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You should check the spring bind (compressed length) of the new spring you put in. It may be that with a high lift cam, that you will need to mill the spring seat in the head so there's more room for compression. that may have caused your broken rocker. Be glad you didn't trash your head, break a spring retainer and drop the vavle into your head. Nice looking bike. Don't feel bad we all break stuff from time to time and learn from it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creepinogie said:
You should check the spring bind (compressed length) of the new spring you put in. It may be that with a high lift cam, that you will need to mill the spring seat in the head so there's more room for compression. that may have caused your broken rocker. Be glad you didn't trash your head, break a spring retainer and drop the vavle into your head. Nice looking bike. Don't feel bad we all break stuff from time to time and learn from it.
You are absolutely right, it could of all gone that way and been very expensive and very messy, just like a high class hooker me thinks.
There was indeed lots of head scratching over what valve springs to use but 'cos of that wonderful invention, the internet, I reckon I got it right...sort of, I hope.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'd say that's a hot ride. The only thing that'd make it cooler (and probably more unreliable) would be an ironhead motor. :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
That bikes sucks. It' is ugly. It needs to be crated up in a very secure shipping container, and placed on a Virgin Atlantic Airways flight to Las Vegas so that I may dispose of it properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts