·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
i applaud your effort.

is it me or do the curved risers and buckhorn hbars cause an incongruent vibe against the gooseneck of the frame.

just sayin'

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i applaud your effort.

is it me or do the curved risers and buckhorn hbars cause an incongruent vibe against the gooseneck of the frame.

just sayin'
I never thought about it really. I used those risers to put the bars where they felt good to me. I suppose they could be incongruent with the goose neck because they curve the opposite way. But then again, they follow the tank curve, so they're congruent with that. Pick one I guess, but having bars that are in a comfortable place is my main concern.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
That frame and front end look great, nice work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like it all except the riser/bar combo ( I think drags would look good with the risers, but that's about it), seat and rear fender..but it's not my bike. The frame works looks excellent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like this bike alot. Very nice and looking forward to future changes. Thanks for sharing. Makes me wanna get a sporty for the summer.

Dave

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The Red Byrdster Swingin' Goose is a success. I like the neck and front end. Makes the bike look light and fun.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like it all except the riser/bar combo ( I think drags would look good with the risers, but that's about it), seat and rear fender..but it's not my bike. The frame works looks excellent.
The seat is only temporary, it's gonna get a custom king-queen seat (as I wrote). Are you saying you don't like the rear fender?

·
Registered
309 Posts
G'day, nice looking prohject there. Too any people are just harddtailing sporties and calling it a day.

You'll need to gusset that sissy bar joint, it looks like pretty thin stock so I'd br careful with what you load on it. I'd use 5/8" as a minimum

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
G'day, nice looking prohject there. Too any people are just harddtailing sporties and calling it a day.

You'll need to gusset that sissy bar joint, it looks like pretty thin stock so I'd br careful with what you load on it. I'd use 5/8" as a minimum

Thank you for your comments.

I'm going to take your criticism as perhaps an unintended compliment, because I wanted this assembly to look as slim and "unsupported" as possible (I don't like those big sissy-bar side plates on swing arm bikes).

I don't know if you looked at the earlier build pics (at the two links I posted at the top of this thread) but perhaps you didn't notice the 1/4" thick third tab on top of the fender that actually bears most of the load.

Also unseen is a 14 gauge internal "U" shaped, angled strut welded inside the fender. The load on the bar is engineered to transfer to a forward load against the ends of the frame's fender support rails.

There are 14 gauge mount pads fillet welded to the outside at the outside side fender mount points, on top of the internal strut mount points. You should be able to see it in the pic above where the fender bolts on. Between the inside reinforcement, and the outside pads, the assembly is sitting on 3/8th inch of combined steel welded together. I'd like to think I did this right....

The next part is that the original fender strut covers are going to be shortened, notched and re-form at the ends, and will fit right over the side mounts and bolts, hiding the mounting points entirely, and making it look like only the un-supported round stock is emerging from the strut covers.

I used 1/2" steel round stock except for the third center tube which is hollow, to conceal the wiring.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Unlike a lot of bikes on this site, yours looks like one on which you could do some serious riding. Good job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts