Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm in the mock up phase. Just a frame, front end, and front and rear wheel assemblies. All of these are bolted together and the bike is sitting up straight on a flat table. It is a '71 Triumph OIF with Bird weld hardtail. When standing behind the bike while it is up straight and standing on the table, I can see that the top of the rear wheel/tire is leaning a little bit toward the left. It is not much, and probably 99% of lookers would not notice it, but it is there. In fact the bike has been sitting this way for two or more months, and I stare at the bike from many angles on a regular basis, and I just noticed this a couple days ago. I'm sure it will be fine if I leave it as is, but I'm wondering if this is a 'big deal'. If I want to make it completely vertical and square with everything I think I'll have to cut some metal out of the top of the left rear axle slot. I think I've seen pics of bikes in mags on which the rear wheel is vertically titlted a little. I'm tempted to modify but I also don't want to drive myself crazy being a perfectionist. What do you think?

I searched.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
It's always best to get things straight and plumb as you can. will it work? probably. but you also have tire, chain, and sprocket wear to think of.
And other crooked things to follow, like fender and sissy bar or fender strut alignment.
It wouldn't be that hard to jig up the frame and twist it back into alignment, there is a place out here called "Dr. Johns frame straightening" that can do it, chances are there is someone near you that can.
Be careful about cracking the bottom of the frame where the oil tank is welded to the frame. that happens with stock OIF frames and they leak around the base.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. After fiddling with the motorcycle a little more last night I'm starting to figure out what might exactly be causing this. If I describe it in words it might put you right to sleep. The wheel offset is a little off to the right. And when the axle is pushed all the way forward in the slots the right slot allows the right end of the axle to go a little farther forward than the left slot allows the left end of the axle to go forward. I have to pull the right end of the axle back just a bit while leaving the left end all the way forward. That plus the wheel being offset just a little to the right can really make the wheel look strange if positioned incorrectly. I'll mess with it a little more.

Thank you again for your feedback.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You could also just verify that the axle plate slots are sitting at the same height. If you have the bike level just check the slots are the same height from your table to the bottom of the slot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could also just verify that the axle plate slots are sitting at the same height. If you have the bike level just check the slots are the same height from your table to the bottom of the slot.
That's a good idea. I'll do that. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts