Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started working on a 71 triumph TR6. I really wasn't looking for a OIF triumph. To be honest I really was not looking for a triumph. This one just popped up, and was manufactured the month and year of my birth. I got a little nostalgic, and the trade was somewhat impulsive. The previous owner wanted my .338 magnum...and well, you all know how that works

The frame had been modded by a drunk monkey, who could not even spell welding. , so restoration was more of a pain than making it a rider.
I dropped the seat height, and filled the space under the seat with an old harley oil bag, which is now gutted, and just hides the electronics and coils. The rear fender loop was reworked to form a short sissy bar, and harley style fender struts were made to hold the sportster fender...
I live in the mountains, so I was thinking a fun little runabout that I could ride down to the pizza parlor, or cruise back roads on...

Now my wife has been looking at old pics of triumphs I built, and she is starting to think I should build a bobber. She also noticed recently that it was light enough for her to ride

this pic was taken before teardown for soda blasting and paint. Color was going to be prismatic silver and dark metallic orchid...

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an old timer trying to trade me a bonny head for my single carb head, and the mikuni carb I am going to use. I am not going for it. The difference between a TR6 and a bonniville was a total of one horsepower... And that was on the top end of the RPM range. I would rather lose that one horsepower and have the reliability and the ease of keeping a single carb in tune. Plus I think the tuning accuracy of the mikuni compensates for part of that single horsepower loss. Let's face it, the old Amals were not exactly exactly on the cutting edge of fuel delivery.
The triumpph will never be fast. That is not even a consideration. I want a fun little reliable bike, that starts easy

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
a couple things to consider...

now this is all just my opinion and the Mikuni guys will start throwing bombs at me, but here goes...

One.... Mikunis carbs are defiantly a more sophisticated carb if, and when, you finally get it jetted and adjusted correctly it will idle well and have a bit more top speed but (IMO) there is a noticeable reduction in engine torque with them.
the Amal carbs are a simple carbs that work well on an archaically designed British motor and deliver gobs of torque. and with the Amals being reproduced and improved now it's no longer necessary to put up with worn old Amals.

and secondly... the 5 speed trans is not an overdrive transmission, 5th gear on a 5 speed is the same ratio as 4th gear on a 4 speed, there is just less gear gap in between the gears. Close ratio gearing not that important on a motor with a lot of torque.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts