Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got the wiring out of my bike (1970 Triumph 650 with a boyer and minimal accessories) and I am re-wiring with a negative ground.
The one pair of wires I haven't touched comes from the ignition (what's substituted for the points) and goes to the little ignition box.
My question is, when changing to negative ground, do I have to reverse the connections in the ignition as well?
Or can I just swap them at the box?
Any help is appreciated.....and sorry if this sounds vague....I'm ruching as I am in work watching over my shoulder for the boss man.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Richie -

here's a diagram I found on a Norton parts supplier's site .. but all the Brits have the same elec. components post '50's ..

note on this diag it say "boyer stator" that would be the pickup plate .. I'd say long as your coils and battery are all consistent as to ground, switch them as applicable ..

I have noticed the modern regulator/rectifier 'boxes' seem to be able to run either ground, I'd just double check you're consistent thru all the rest of the existing components ..

ok, update after further searching ..

+ ground diagram:

- ground diagram:

note the diff in the 2 Boyer diagrams are the Boyer's white & red wires, going to ground, coil & switch; being what changes ..

Thanks to Gary Rask's site for diagrams, hopefully he will realise more business & not feel the desire to sue .. http://www.raskcycle.com/

Good luck ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doug!
That middle diagram is actually the one I have been working from....although the stator goes directly to the tympanium & the....I don't even know what to call ...ignition contacts guess (whatever replaces the points in this set up) go right to the box, which for the moment is still connected as though it were positive ground.
Behind the timing cover there are 2 barrel connectors connecting the red and black wires.
I'm wondering, I guess, if those have to be swaped as well?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Richie said:
Thanks Doug!
That middle diagram is actually the one I have been working from....although the stator goes directly to the tympanium & the....I don't even know what to call ...ignition contacts guess (whatever replaces the points in this set up) go right to the box, which for the moment is still connected as though it were positive ground.
Behind the timing cover there are 2 barrel connectors connecting the red and black wires.
I'm wondering, I guess, if those have to be swaped as well?

No ..

study the only difference in the 2nd & 3rd diagrams ..

the Red & White wires from the box going to switch/coils/ground .. are what changes ..

the 2 wires (whatever colour they are) from the points plate- now pickup plate (they call a stator) are routed the same - in both diagrams .. I would submit that since it's now a single-fire system whether one uses 2 stock coils or one dual-tower coil; there it is, it doesnt matter re making the coil fire .. because with a Boyer, now it Does fire every 180 degrees, wasted spark on exhaust, whatever .. so be it ..

it's the layout of those Other 3 wires from the Boyer, which go to the coil, switch, & ground .. that count (for your polarity concerns) ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts