Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a bike. Finally because I have wanted one for over 10 years. Now I have one! I figure I can only afford what I build so here I am.

Thanks to Eric (BigDdy31). The brother hooked me up! She is rough as a cats tongue but it will get chopped up quick. It is going to get the hardtail treatment. I have a new Bates style seat, Ford spare tire cover for the fender, and some other odds and ends. It will get a new tank also. Needs brand new wiring, tires, and all new gaskets. I have started the disassemby. Who ever worked on this bike must of had a certificate from the Idiot's School of Motorcycle Repair. ALOT of electrical tape, speakerwire, and crap welds. Oh and he put the forks on backwards. Duuh. Damn ********.

Anyway I set up a temp website untill the build gets going then I will start to document the whole process.

Here is the rest of the pictures pre teardown.
http://www.aresstudios.com/XS650.htm

As You can imagine...I will have a TON of dumb new guy questions so please be patient with me...:D

Thanks for looking.
Brian

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats bro! I'm glad it went to a good home. I know you'll fix what ails it.

We should probably wait to see how it goes before we decide if I did you a favor or not. ;)

I still can't believe dumbass put the legs on the wrong sides and didn't bother to put them back the right way.

Jabber (occasionally with some help from me in the form of drunken pointing and gesturing) is rewiring a friend's XS chop. We'll try to keep you updated to maybe save you some time and trouble.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Looks like a good starting piont for a cool project. what sort of tank are you going to use? Are you going to run the stock forks? front brakes or turn down the fender and brake lugs? Keep us posted. Xs 650 are great bikes, I sure love mine. Gregg

·
Registered
377 Posts
you lucky bastard, Eric knew better than to tell me before he sold it to you, cause he knows I would have bought it. I have a habit of collecting shit.

And Eric, I went to the electrical supply place and got a ton of wire, connectors, heat shrink, and a couple toggle switches. So I think I might strart the rewire friday night if you want to swing by, and drink beer.

-john

·
Registered
421 Posts
jabber said:
you lucky bastard, Eric knew better than to tell me before he sold it to you, cause he knows I would have bought it. I have a habit of collecting shit.

And Eric, I went to the electrical supply place and got a ton of wire, connectors, heat shrink, and a couple toggle switches. So I think I might strart the rewire friday night if you want to swing by, and drink beer.

-john
Cool! I love those little connectors you get.

I have to go see my favorite bartendress for a bit tomorrow evening and then I have to go to Sam's and return my less than 6 month old, defective Optima battery. After that I'll try to swing by.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get this thing on the road. I know it will be a long winter and I have a ton of learnin' to do.

I have the stock wiring diagram but If I can get by with the bare min I will. I will have to get ALL new wires and connectors. All this spaghetti needs is some sauce. ;)

The forks will get smoothed also. Its to ugly up front not to.

Any more suggestions out there? I need everyones help.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tank? Probably a peanut style of some kind. I first was thinking a Sporty tank but there is sooo many out there. Something like this would be cool. Now I just have to find one and not pay a arm and leg for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
lookin good man, if u ever wanna ditch it off im right here in milwaukee!

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I've re wired a few and this link will help you....http://www.cyclepsycho.com/yamachopper/wires/wires.html

I would suggest saving the stock harness that runs between the alternator and the reg/rect. Just about all of the rest can be thrown away...but don't throw it away or cut it up until you are finished with the job. It's a good reference during the rewire

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saved what I could. There wasn't much left. There was so many slices and bad conections alot wasn't worth saving.

Like I said before...Electrical tape and speaker wire. Who the hell uses speaker wire? Not like a temprorary fix. Soldered in speaker wire. I have the idea of getting a complete NOS wiring harness and going from there or I will get a used one off Ebay. Even if the Ebay one is shot it would still be better than what I have and that is pretty much nothing.

I will probably be able to cobble something together by the time I'm done. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
779 Posts
BrianPettit said:
Tank? Probably a peanut style of some kind. I first was thinking a Sporty tank but there is sooo many out there. Something like this would be cool. Now I just have to find one and not pay a arm and leg for it.
There is a Mustang tank in the classifieds.

·
Registered
421 Posts
hatch said:
I would suggest saving the stock harness that runs between the alternator and the reg/rect. Just about all of the rest can be thrown away...but don't throw it away or cut it up until you are finished with the job. It's a good reference during the rewire
Hatch is totally right about this. From what I can tell, alternators vary on those things depending on year. Everything up to the rectifier turns out to be pretty sacred. Just look for three white wires and (I think) a brown or green. Am I remembering correctly there fellas?

From there you can pretty much go crazy with your bad custom self. Oh, and if your bike has a recitifier AND a regulator, keep those as a new regulator from Yammy is something like $150. :eek: But never fear, if you don't have those or need them, the 'bay is your friend and $20 will usually get you a pile of whatever you need.

·
Registered
377 Posts
holy shit that is big. The one at my house doesn't have that. Just bolt a big spinner from a dayton wheel on it. Lo Lo, bitches.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I gotta figure out a way to get rid of it. Hoping some one else had the same thing on their bike and changed it out.

I'm sure I can figure out something when I take the front end off. I just like to learn from other's experiance.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Don't forget to post when you change the mirrors and some bolts :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts