Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanted a vintage bike -could not afford one- makin my own with some improvements.
wanted a 'Track'r/ Racer looking bike...
Sorta A hotrod Bike if you will....
Its a roller.....

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: My Last/LAST project

Your first pic sums it up for me.:)

For over thirty years I've been telling people that the charm of a custom bike is the melding of artist and engineer. Not many get it right.:confused:

I have no artistry at all. I'm a problem solver.:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: My Last/LAST project

Here are a few specs on this build.....
Projected weight 670lbs
67-1/2" wheelbase
32 deg. Rake
3-1/2" Trail
DNA -2"Under springer.
160-80 X 16" rear tire
130-90X 18" front-both wheels 3-1/2" wide
All tubing is 1-1/2" diam./.110 wall DOM
125 Cu Inches/=2053 CC
135 ft lbs Torque
120 Horsepower
Shooting for a resemblance to a 30's Henderson,KJ-Gotta make fenders and tanks

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
For what you've put into it already, you should build a springer/girder your self & burn that frickin DNA !! Ever seen one fail?? I have !! It's painful!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
For what you've put into it already, you should build a springer/girder your self & burn that frickin DNA !! Ever seen one fail?? I have !! It's painful!!!
DITTO on the DNA

·
Registered
355 Posts
I talked to a guy who is a dealer for DNA Springers in Salt Lake. His locked up on him, threw him into a ditch, and yet he still sells and promotes those piles of steel.

I agree with slim, build your own.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read a lot of reviews on this front and most all said they were gettin along good/ with the 2 under being the most favored.
I can imagine if any frt was lengthened it would be more apt to have flex-fatigue etc...
please ,If you will-elaborate on that "locked up and threw him in the ditch scenario....
was his one with an internal fork lock?
this front is not that type.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'd like to hear more about 'threw him in the ditch' as well. A buddy of mine got one really cheap and is about to put it on his sporty. Maybe start a thread, so we don't hijack this build thread?

Nice concept, man! Not enough bikes with big fenders. I like it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It was over a year ago that I heard the story but I think it had something to with axle nut or the bearings. I don't know, either way, I'm never using one of those front ends.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm not a fan of the DNA springer! But? I have to ask. What does a bad axle nut or a bad wheel bearing have to do with the manufactured springer function? sounds more like an a assembly problem? More like the end play was to tight on the front wheel. IMHO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kenny, bike is looking great. I am going to have to stop by again in the next few weeks. And you guys reading this thread, I have heard Kenny say "The Last Project" a couple dozen times. And if any of you need a top chopped on a rod, this is definately your man.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gonna try and answer a few of the questions asked above.....
Brakes- Probably a Sprotor type disc on the chain sprocket on Left rear brake.
Front= am considering having my son[toolmaker] do a slightly downsized disc-plus remember the throttle works both directions-engine braking should be better than some Ha!
power ABOUT 120 HP not 130...
Big fenders?Yes the front on a Henderson was actually wider than that springer by 1-1/2" the springer actually ran THRU the fender on those bike and this will too.
I have a rear fender from a last[reintroduced issue] Indian Scout I am flipping 180 deg and will be the front fender on this after the widening work on it is done....
gonna get a blank from JP cycle and trim out a rear with a lttle bead roller edging to complete that.
Actually replica Henderson tin is out there believe it or not but at about 5 bills a fender- it is not gonna happen,
I am working on split tanks that are flat with squared edges sorta like a JD Harley from the 30s only arched up to mirror the Cyl head's angles..... Have some real Henderson tank badges and decals but will need to duplicate the decals in Vinyl and clear coat over them when painting is done....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back to the springer question,
I looked this peice over pretty close and it has some decent build quality IMO.
I cannot justify spending almost as much on a real HD springer and then rebuilding that as I have in the whole bike as of now.....You are looking at a project that is pretty low dollars as shown.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts