Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would show some pics of my recently acquired '72 Ironhead. It's a matching numbers bike with less than 200 miles on a complete top/bottom rebuild. I remember my old '77 marking it's territory but this thing does not leave one drop! I'm on the fence about selling or trading for something bigger but wanted some feedback on the bike before doing anything. Turns out I'm bigger than I was during my last Ironhead romance!

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
"trading for something bigger"

Seriously?

An IH is nimbler & faster than most Big Twins, will ride circles around them & has a better power-to-weight ratio than any garbage wagon could ever pray for.
And that's in stock trim.

You either love Sportsters or you don't --- but don't fall for that old trading-up nonsense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not that I hate riding it, it's actually a blast to jam around town on. I just think bigger is better for me right now. Me and my buddies do more long hauls than bar hopping these days (Which was all we used to do!). I appreciate all the input though!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Best of both worlds. A good vintage sportster and a big twin. Keep the sportster and look for a basket big twin, and build one of those too. Long trip, big twin. Short trip, sportster. How could you go wrong?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Want smoother highway riding on an ironhead?
Bump the trans sprocket up to a 23 or 24-toother.
Between that & the stock 51-tooth drum sprocket out back you'll be smilin while hauling ass on the interstate. :D

Most guys who complain about an ironhead's freeway ride, or only use them as bar-hoppers, are usually running a MUCH smaller front sprocket which makes for a buzzy-as-hell ride that'll rattle the fillings out of your teeth. :eek:

·
Administrator
7,825 Posts
Best of both worlds. A good vintage sportster and a big twin. Keep the sportster and look for a basket big twin, and build one of those too. Long trip, big twin. Short trip, sportster. How could you go wrong?
Good advice, you've already got one nice bike, now go out and start on a big twin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, some really good advice here! Actually I'm not overweight (Thank god) just lift alot of weights. It actually cruises the freeway with ease but I haven't checked the sprockets yet. Rode it last night and had a blast so prolly end up keeping it:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.