Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to build some sort of scoot for years, but always had a Hot Rod or Custom I was working on.... still do, but it was time. Wasn't sure which way I was headed with it, first I thought I'd go the British route, maybe Triumph or a BSA. I looked at a few projects and runners, but they just weren't doing it for me. I finally decided on a mid 70's Ironhead Sportster. Again, I looked at a lot of projects, and came close to the purchase of a runner or two, but if it wasnt one thing it was the other. Between bikes that were misrepresented, to ones with registration problems, I was lucky enough to find one that was very nice, complete, and for a great price too! I'm real weak on computer skills but think I may have figured out how to post pics, so I'll try. First will be a before and after (now) shot. I took some pics along the way, I really should have taken more, but I just get carried away working sometimes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Neat Man,

Wow thats a well equipped workshop you got right there" BC Hey where all the snow

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a few more. I replaced the flat ends on the oil bucket with domed ones, and built rear fender struts .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neat Man,

Wow thats a well equipped workshop you got right there" BC Hey where all the snow
Thanks, its taken a long time to get the shop to where it is, I'm very fortunate. As for the snow...we got hit the other day 4 or 5 inches or so, not too much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah,and did you do a complete tear down to hardtail ?
Yep, tore it down to the bare frame, I'll post some pics of that soon. The hardtail is a Santee that was a Bolt/weld-on style that I modified to full weld-on unit. The forks are 4" under DNA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That bike looks sick. I am a newbie to the site and I am doing a '72 ironhead myself. It currently has the bolt on hardtail and I can't figure out how to make the seat look right on it. I may either do the weld on or fab up a new swing arm, as I have a nice set of shocks I can use. But I ramble.... Your bike is absolutely gorgeous, that is the stance I am aiming for.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looks good so far. Is that an A roadster in the back?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of the hardtail being modified to full welded on. I initially bolted it on to the lower end and then welded the upper tubes to the backbone. I even went as far as to weld the lower bolted ends in place. Not liking the look of it all, I made up a makeshift tubing support system to hold everything in place (believe it or not it worked fine). I proceeded to cut one lower mount out at a time, then weld in a piece of 1" I.D. DOM tubing to the frame forging. From there I bent up some 1/8th wall 1" tubing to replace the lower leg of the hardtail that I had removed, slip them in place and weld it up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts