Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a question a week or so about welding and what kind to get. Well I was looking for a used MIG and would up with a torch set that came with full tanks. Over the weekend I broke out some coat hanger and scrap steel and taught myself how to weld the old fashoned way. Today I took the day off and fabbed up a rear fender for my project. Took all day but I did it. I'm not sure if I like the struts or not. My neighbor liked them. I thought I might put some pike nute or something on them or rework them all together but I think I need to look at them for a while. Thanks to everyone for their earlier advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just don't weld on anything your life depends on :) In the right hands a torch welded joint can be strong. In the wrong hands it could mean disaster.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like them, I think they just need to be a little more alike to oneanother, the bend is lower on the chain side. But, Good job.

·
Registered
896 Posts
jabber said:
I like them, I think they just need to be a little more alike to oneanother, the bend is lower on the chain side. But, Good job.
That's to compensate for the chain ;)

(I'm trying to cover for ya, go along with it)

·
Registered
344 Posts
good effort, but i agree any structural stuff, get someone else, if in doubt hit it hard with a very large hammer!

but yea keep at it!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
ha moonshiners - i was going to suggest that - smack it with a lump and if it doesnt crack/break you are good to go

i do that still if it is something is major that i want to be double sure on...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yup, aint much you cant fix with a big hammer a 1/2" Spanner and a screwdriver! (well at least it includes strombergs and rochesters ;-) )

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't do any kind of structural welding with any welder. I know I don't have the skill for that..yet. I have to fab up a brake pedal bracket and was already planning to have someone who knows what they are doing weld it up. I would hate to try and stop and have the pedal fall off especially having only rear brakes. The different struts are to offset for the chain. The fender is not centered but the way the wheel and frame are set up I could not see any other way. I LOVE the idea of brass wing nuts. The bolts are 5/16 but I thibk I can increase them to 3/8 and get even bigger wing nuts. I will work on that today.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Looks great to me. The wingnuts will make it look even better.
Did you add the 2" or so tube for the top mount of the fender, or was that already on the frame? The fender-to-tire distance looks just right.
Currently, my bike has an old flat fender in poor condition mounted directly to the frame, it's several inches from the tire at the front and looks awful. Here's a pix of my current setup.
I have no welding skills or equipment. Is there anyone on the board sells their services in this area? I saw Trent has ribbed fenders, so I'd need a set of struts and that front mount. I'm in Maryland and could transport the bike to somewhere in the MD/VA/PA area.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did add the tube for the distance and mount. I took a piece of black pipe and cut it to lenght, fishmouthed it and welded a 5/16 nut inside the end. I got the distance by taping a plastic tube to the tire and then took big hose clamps and clamped it down where I liked it then made all the mounts. I have about 3/5 of the old Ford ring if anyone needs it. No luck today finding brass wing nuts if anyone has a source let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
B.R.S.- that's going to be a nice scoot when your done. As for the welding, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! If ya wanna get rid of that Ford ring, contact me via e-mail [through the moderator?].

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
B.R.S. said:
I did add the tube for the distance and mount. I took a piece of black pipe and cut it to lenght, fishmouthed it and welded a 5/16 nut inside the end. I got the distance by taping a plastic tube to the tire and then took big hose clamps and clamped it down where I liked it then made all the mounts. I have about 3/5 of the old Ford ring if anyone needs it. No luck today finding brass wing nuts if anyone has a source let me know.
Thanks, I have a lot to learn!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts