Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1970 BSA lightning chopper. Typical story, lots of help from friends and more money than I care to recount. I'm finishing the paint now, it'll be black with ivory scallops and red striping, like the rear fender...I only use the finest spray paint money can buy. It took years and a few different incarnations. I still need to run the gas lines and wire the brake light. I'll probably have to sell her to fund my Ironhead project but that's life. This is my first bike and I love it. Here are some pics.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I like it. I'm sure it will look really nice after you have painted it in the scheme you say it will be.

I also understand Nottso and I also understand that when you set your sights on something you want..or that next project or whatever, it is hard to shake it and whether it is the wisest of moves or not sometimes it just has to be that way!

Back in '98 I traded my '74 Sportster for a '65 Ford Mustang. I HAD to have that Mustang and I didn't have a lot of extra cash and he would trade me even up for the bike, so I did it. I got a lot of enjoyment out of that Mustang. Of course, I wish I still had the Sportster but such is life. :cool:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious about that drive chain tensioner. Is that an off-the-shelf item or did you fab it yourself? Also, why did you think you need it?
I put it on because otherwise the chain hits the crossbar on the frame. It's a vision street violator skateboard wheel.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good. Then finish it and ride it around for at least a year.. That ironhead will still be there.
Ha, I gues I wasn't real clear. I got to ride it for a coupla years before strippin it down and painting it. Fun bikes these BSA's. Pulls pretty hard. Never realized how normal or as I call them ABNORMAL people, love old bikes. I can't tell you how many weirdos came up next to me while riding down the street and screamed "what kinda bike is that?". JESUS, can you wait til we're stopped? HAHA.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dude, your story is so similiar to mine! I have a 1970 BSA Thuderbolt that I've spent WAY too much on rebuilding for the last 6 years.
I finally had an amazing old school Brit mechanic rebuild the top end, fixing all the horror that the previous "mechanic" created.
I almost sold it 2 years ago to buy a friends' Ironhead, but in a brief moment of sanity, decided against it...THANK GOD!

And our bikes look similiar too!

Here it is as of Feb 2012...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dude, your story is so similiar to mine! I have a 1970 BSA Thuderbolt that I've spent WAY too much on rebuilding for the last 6 years.
I finally had an amazing old school Brit mechanic rebuild the top end, fixing all the horror that the previous "mechanic" created.
I almost sold it 2 years ago to buy a friends' Ironhead, but in a brief moment of sanity, decided against it...THANK GOD!

And our bikes look similiar too!

Here it is as of Feb 2012...
First bike was a 70's style nose high Beezer. Still have it, always will. This one is tits and so is the thread starter. Don't sell it. You will regret.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.