Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bike off the lift today and thought it needed some sun light.

I traded my old bike for this 1980 80" Shovelhead. 143 days til Born Free 4.

The picture from the mag side has the tank sitting a little higher. The primary side it's sitting lower. I think I like it lower.

I also can't figure out how to get the springs back into the springer. The rockers are pointing straight down and I don't know how to get the horizontal and load the springs properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where are the spring rods that run through the springs?
Usually have to use a big g clamp or similar to compress bottom springs to get the top springs on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are the spring rods that run through the springs?
Usually have to use a big g clamp or similar to compress bottom springs to get the top springs on.
I think this is my problem. I'm compressing the top springs, not the bottom ones. I need to fashion a new tool to compress the bottom ones.

The springs popped off twice and luckily didn't hit me.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I use a nylon ratchet strap, hooked around the wheel and to the lower main tree. Tighten the strap and install the upper springs. If you use nylon tie down straps, like used to hold bike on a lift, it works out pretty good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, the strap works perfectly and you are done before you would finish fabbing up a tool. Decent looking bike for sure.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Mike,

That is a really nice looking bike...very cool set-up. I like the tank lower as well. Good luck with the springs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the springs back on today. I compressed the top springs and the bottom ones. I thought for sure the springs were going to sky rocket again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use a nylon ratchet strap, hooked around the wheel and to the lower main tree. Tighten the strap and install the upper springs. If you use nylon tie down straps, like used to hold bike on a lift, it works out pretty good.
Yep, works like a charm.

By the way, the lower tank looks cleaner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts