Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this rough project a week and half ago, I got the engine running but riped everything out and threw it on this ridged frame. Striped the tank and fender. Cut the fender down alot, mounted to pertches from the seat pan to the fender... mounted the tank and made the batterybox out of an old ammo box.. Had to cut it down about 4 inches.
made the tailight bracket and licence plate bracket out of 18 gauge, im using a old model a taillight....

oil tank when i got it was aftermarket harly,, it was 6 inchs round and i needed 4.. talked to a guy at my local for welders and pipefitters. his apprentince is making one out of stainless, polishing it up and making all the fitts and inlet tube. its gonna look sick and save me 400 bucks!

mounted the engine last night toooooo...

well heres a few pictures till i get more of the finished thing

starting paint today,,, oh yea this bikes gotta be done by saturday for a car show.... 2 weeks, and this is my first bike... crazy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
WOW! That's gonna' be fast build! Lookin' good though! Post pics when you get 'er done!
RatRodder said:
Bought this rough project a week and half ago, I got the engine running but riped everything out and threw it on this ridged frame. Striped the tank and fender. Cut the fender down alot, mounted to pertches from the seat pan to the fender... mounted the tank and made the batterybox out of an old ammo box.. Had to cut it down about 4 inches.
made the tailight bracket and licence plate bracket out of 18 gauge, im using a old model a taillight....

oil tank when i got it was aftermarket harly,, it was 6 inchs round and i needed 4.. talked to a guy at my local for welders and pipefitters. his apprentince is making one out of stainless, polishing it up and making all the fitts and inlet tube. its gonna look sick and save me 400 bucks!

mounted the engine last night toooooo...

well heres a few pictures till i get more of the finished thing

starting paint today,,, oh yea this bikes gotta be done by saturday for a car show.... 2 weeks, and this is my first bike... crazy

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
2 weeks?!?!?!
I'll eat my shoe!

God damn it...I haven't been able to re-wire my bike in the last 2 weeks let along BUILD something.

I should quit my day job....I obviouslly don't do anything here anyways.....

·
Registered
770 Posts
Tha Nutz said:
A taillight bracket made out of 18 gauge is like making one out of toilet paper. I would use 12 gauge, minimum.
Put enough creases and bends in it you might get it ridgid enough, but using a thicker steel would make sense, and probally be worth the efforts.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Crease it all you want, it will still crack. Shit, 18 gauge won't even survive on a swingarm bike--my friend's sportster had a taillight mount that was well constructed by him out of 16 gauge on his sprung sportser and THAT cracked. So a rigid triumph will destroy his bracket for sure.

I built my first license tag for my evo out of 16 gauge and I lost a license plate maybe 3 days later.

My general rule of thumb is, figure out how strong you need something to be and then make it twice as strong as that (at least on a rigid bike). You'll never regret it.

tbone16 said:
Put enough creases and bends in it you might get it ridgid enough, but using a thicker steel would make sense, and probally be worth the efforts.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not only that, being the rider behind and dodging one of them things when they come flying off isn't a lot of fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PONY said:
Not only that, being the rider behind and dodging one of them things when they come flying off isn't a lot of fun.
thanks guys, ill make a new one tomarrow... paints done. grey matalic.. it came a long way... ill get batterys tomarrow and shoot some....

hey caffiene, get ready for some size 14s... i have a plate full of timberlands waiting for you

·
Registered
269 Posts
What a bunch of Douchebags! Haha..

Hey RatRodder..nice bike!
I wish i could get mine going in a couple weeks....i'll be lucky to have mine done by spring..

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
holy shit. small world eh? looks like nobody got to eat anyone's shoe. our boy ratrodder (aka steve) sold this shit pile to me the 1st week of february - very unfinished. this is the bike ive been working my ass off building the past month straight. i still have a couple months of building left to go. even IF i make my deadline of the 2nd week of may, ill be so surprised, ill eat my own shoes!

steve is a good dude & i cruise cars with him pretty regularly during the summer. he decided he really needed to get his car finished before he took on anything else so he bailed on the bike & sold it to me. funny thing is, its been passed around to about 3 or 4 other guys i know, even before it got to him! this is the pig that nobody wants, except my dumb ass. i have this thing down to every nut & bolt right now. the motor was pretty shot & i have about $1500 it the motor alone already & its still at the shop being rebuilt by a pro. both wheels were shot (6" flat spots in em). the hardtail was bent & cracked (since been cut off & the new one should be in this week). it still has little/no electricals. i dont think ive ever worked harder on a project, thanks to the kick in the head from you guys in the beginning when i was pretty overwhelmed with all the issues it had. plus, so many people (except my motorhead friends & my girl) have kept telling me what a piece of shit it is & itll never run, its motivated me to make this the meanest, cleanest & most reliable bobber i can possibly build.

i guess ill keep this post going with update pics, just in case steve is still watching. haha. thats right you tall fucker, this bitch is mine now & its gonna get done!! :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.