Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As far as your frame goes, I've done this sort of thing before with very good results...having said that, if you intend to use that frame, I suggest you take it somewhere and get it PROPERLY modified and PROPERLY welded...or just save your pennies over the winter and hunt down a nice new one....it's going to take more than a front fender to have that beastie pass a safety inspection. I know you are trying to keep costs down, but your life may depend on it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I noticed it looks like the serial #s on the engine are missing. Does the frame have #s and do you have an ownership that matches those #s? If the front loop is from a unit construction bike, the numbers would be on the drive side front engine mount which has been changed on yours. If it is the front loop from the plunger frame, how is it registered as a '68? The numbers missing on the engine will be a problem. I would make sure everything is in order before spending more money or time on it.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Hey Kid, seems to me that seeing you need a new frame an'all and you keep saying you want to make this bike yours, seems like this is an ideal opportunity to strip the bike right out save up for another frame, you might get lucky on eBay or Craigs List and build it up from there.

It sucks that some people would make a frame like that and sell it on but there are some fuckers out there.

There are plenty of guys out there, me included, who have limited funds so you have to be creative and patient and when the opportunity arises do a few extra paid hours.

Buy yourself one item per month/payday that way you can spread the cost.

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
worn- the case has no #s because it's a factor replacement case and i haven't actually looked for the frame #s but i do have an ownership so i'll probably stamp the vin myself

Dan Boy-i think insttead of getting a new frame i'm going to have someone cut out the plates and weld in tubes(the proper way) because i'm out of a job for now and can't save up for one very easily. those plates were welded in to make the motor fit the frame, i was told it was done by inserting rod into the frame tubes then welding the rod in the frame and the plates to the rob but i can't be sure of this

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok, i've started stripping the forks but i'm not quite done. i got my sparto tail light from lowbrow customs(thanks tyler, love your products) unfortunately i wasn't home when it came so the mailman decided to leave it on the porch. i also got a new rear fender, the one it came with was to short and too thin to hold a passenger. so i went to princess auto and got a trailer fender for $30 because there was no way i was going to spend 80 bucks for one like my dad did, it needs a little modification but should work just fine. i also got the valve cover cleaned and the sides of my oil tank, you can't see it in the picture but theres spots of rust on it so i'm not sure whether i'll re-chrome it or paint it black.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's not a BSA unit front loop, and it is a factory OEM plunger rear section, maybe BSA but there were a few other makes with plunger rear ends.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i just sold a 52 plunger frame. it looks like a modified bsa rear for sure. it looks only modded by the seat part. cant tell on the underside.

·
Registered
87 Posts
just looked at your photos again, it looks like the front part is bsa also. it has the lugs on there for the side car option. why would someone mod that part by the seat? so strange. good luck! plunger frames are awesome. i just had to many missing parts to want to complete mine. so i sold it and bought a norton.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts