Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK it's time i post my build. i have limited tools and even more limited funds but this is my first build so it'll make me happy no matter how it turns out. So i bought this bike back in august for $3000 canadian, the bike would start but not stay running so i assumed it was a carb problem, this was not the case so i'm waiting on a manual so i can check the timing. this is what it looked like when i bought it

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my dream bike is a long bike with a tall back rest and z bars but i settled for this bobber. the brand of bike never really mattered to me but i grew up watching my dad wrench on his 68 bonneville so i gladly scooped up the brtish steel. i'm keeping the general shape of it because i can't afford a new frame and the frame it's in is a 1957 plunger so i don't want to cut into it. my first thought was to strip the paint from the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm still working on stripping the paint from the motor but in the mean time i'm stripping other parts and luckily finding chrome underneath some of the paint

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after all that stripping
i realized it was still someone elses bike with less paint so i started picking out new parts. the front fender will just be for passing a safety, as for the bars i'm going to get my old welding teacher to make them for me because i'm cheap

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
way to go man! dont stress the funds issue, remember to just have fun with it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Good work getting that black off, looks much better. Does that thing have the bottom motor mount bolt? Things look like they could be a little shaky from here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ouch! Those as bought pictures were tough to look at. The aluminum on the BSA cases polishes up beautifully and to think somebody would rattle can over it gives me the heebie jeebies.
At first I thought the loop on the front of the frame was there to tow it home when she breaks down but on second look that frame could be pretty nice. A plunger done right is sharp and you get a smoother ride while still showing some class.
Looks like a perfect project for a Kydd.
33 years ago when I bought my first BSA some real badass dude who had a Panhead chopper told me "Keep it stock". I did and still have it and still love riding it.
I bought another BSA a year later for cheap ($200) that was chopped. Made a nice chopper out of it too but felt it was too much of a deathtrap and never rode it much but learned a lot.
Have fun
Doug

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good work getting that black off, looks much better. Does that thing have the bottom motor mount bolt? Things look like they could be a little shaky from here.
i believe it's got all the motor mounts except for a head steady because this frame doesn't seem to have a mount for one. i'm trying to think of a way to make one but i don't want to weld or drill into this frame. if i take the paint off the plunger springs what should i expect under there, chrome? stainless?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pan61man i was kind of drawn to the plunger because it's unique, when i first got into bikes i was hardtail all the way but now that i look at this frame i love it so much there's no way i'd put that motor in a hardtail. BTW the loop you mentioned confused me at first too but then i sobered up and realized it's for a sidecar :D. i thought about cutting it out to make the frame look cleaner but i'll leave it there because my dad thinks the frames worth some money but i don't know because i can't find another one online

·
Registered
770 Posts
The bolt I meant is the long one, 10" or so, which goes through the bottom of cases. For the head brace, maybe you could make something to wrap around frame tubes then bolt to that- old Triumphs did it like that. I really only know about more or less stock BSA frames, but all the mounts, shims etc., have a major effect on vibration.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i know what you mean Dan Boy, the more i tear into it the more i'm wondering whats been done to this frame to make the motor fit

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Dude,,that is about 2000% unsafe,,looks like they scabbed in a unit frame

frame should look like this

they are 2 pices that connect at 2 points, lower front,,top just befor seat post,,and seat post sinks int a hole and is bolted

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
No doubt man, you need another frame. Those welded in pieces on your front down tubes look scary :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts