Jockey Journal Forum banner

my 45 update

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  sLowrider 
#1 ·
ok

progress pics....

and question - i know it has a fat arse and i dont care..... on the offset built in the frame i need to mount rear mudguard supports - anyone any ideas or pics that look cool and not wonky?

See less See more
#2 ·
I havn't run traditional fender stuts, i just mounted to the cross brase under the seat (spaced out), and then i've run an adjustable bolt through the bottom of the fender to a bracket (left over from a hurst shiter i put on my chevy) mounted to my battery boy. if the fenders sturdy and short it should be enough....

I know this is where your trans is, but similar idea could be used...

Will try to get detailed pics this eve.

#3 ·
Nicely done! I was afraid the engine would get dwarfed by the BT frame, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. How much of a challenge is there in marrying the frame and engine, and lining up the sprockets? That's awesome. I've never owned anything BT, but the sheer numbers seem to make BT stuff cheaper than 45 stuff (like frames). Plus, you can get a modern (or at least semi-modern) tranny with as many gears as I've got fingers!

#4 ·
you only got 4 fingers??? hehe - the BT belt is the tricky bit - i was sending it out to get machined but not i have a lathe and my dad is an engineer so im buying him whisky and he will come and do the job one visit to me - ahh booze bribes

the frame is big but not too bad... kinda the look i was going for - give the engine room to speak for its self more than if all the tubes were hard onto it

you got to raise the engine up about an inch to look good... im doing it with just 2 metal spacers - just mill 2 pieces to thickness then the alignmet - well im not aligned yet but i am offsetting the engine to accomodate for the engine and the wide rear....

nothing too complicated so far really - i got my sums checked by one of the 45 gurus [panic] on the gearing and it should pull well...

also im not actually butchering the frame so in the fullness of time when i find a big twin flathead it'll drop straight in there and the 45 can go into the little trike i have in my mind - haha forwards planning eh!! [anyone got a bigtwin flathead laying around they dont want??]

#6 ·
i know what you mean - they are the only 1" bars i have in the garage - i am getting some of these made up at the minutet - should have them in about a week.... not exactly classic but cool as chuff

Tha Nutz said:
Just throwing this out there--consider running superbars or mini apes or something. those bars with that motor/frame make it too, I don't know, "new" looking or something. A more classic form of handlebar will really look good. Try it and see what you think.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
As promised, couple quick pics sorry there crap, quite dificult to get to.

Ignore the rubber hammer that's just proping the batery box lid open while on charge, but you can see the basic idea of securing the fender sans struts...

Attachments

#10 ·
hey man - i got them mounts all good... - im on about the ones at the rear of the mudguard i need to fab to not look wonky - im looking at a reasonably long mudguard so will need some support

#11 ·
Yer, what i meant is i just used that lower centre mount instead of "fender struts"

But if you want mounts from the struts, i'd weld a small tab on one of the tubes above the axle so the struts come off even on the fender, just make one longer on the side of the offset.

And a tip. I Arildited some old chevy trim clips onside the rim of the fender to route the wiring...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.