Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting there with the mockup...

also got the rear wheel spaced up but off for tyres at the minute

am happy with steady but sure progress...

think i might have the tank sit a bit lower on the frame but we will see

and i know there is quite a bit of space about but it will fill up some with a carb etc... especially if i can manage to get a stromberg or something on there [might be calling on you moonshiners when that comes round]

i think it kinda emphasises the engine if it has some space to sit

hope you like the progress...

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's Bloody awsome, every restored flattie I see is a chopper trying to get out. Speaking of side valves, I just aquired a BSA M21 engine thats is gonna have a chop built around it soon:)
Charley

sumo said:

also got the rear wheel spaced up but off for tyres at the minute

am happy with steady but sure progress...

think i might have the tank sit a bit lower on the frame but we will see

and i know there is quite a bit of space about but it will fill up some with a carb etc... especially if i can manage to get a stromberg or something on there [might be calling on you moonshiners when that comes round]

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
sumo said:

I pulled my battery box since I don't need it but this is mine, I want to get a CV carb on it so it runs better and the magneto is a must. I am ready to take it to the frame this winter and put it back together some day...

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks - the engine has turned out great from what i started with - and yup am going the mag route.... someone on the board is looking into it for me at the minute

will have no wiring other than a tail light in its final build state - we have a daylight mot thing over here so no light needed at all if you only ride it in the day....

cheers for the compliments - only a prop together at the minute but just to give me a feel how it will look

really chuffed with the oil bag - is obviously going to be black with a fuse painted on it and "ACME" written on it ;) there is no other way with that bag... - obviously if it makes me smile i dont really care if it is classy or not - just a bit of fun

out onto the nech cups now - fun.... first try the mallet and scrap wood - if that doesnt work onto the shops tomorrow and get some big ass threaded rod and some nuts.....

love the shot from the exhaust ajh - cool as... im going to go with an upswept triumph megaphone on it - ebay find for virtually nothing and cool as fuck - result...

·
Registered
967 Posts
The "ACME" bomb idea is awesome! I can't imagine it any other way. If people don't like it, to hell with 'em.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Nice. Looks like you are using a big twin frame so I am assuming you are going to run a BT trans. Have you figured the offset and drilled the motor mounts yet? Make sure you get the alignment done before you go much further (paint especially), the motor will sit a little to the left (primary) side to align with the trans and rear wheel. I am sure you could get motor and trans shafts made to compensate, but you would still have to drill the mounts to fit the 45 motor and the offset is not that big of a deal. I had a friend that did this back in the late 60s. He put a war surplus 45 motor in a knuck frame and used a Triumph fork with the smooth chrome covers. He was one of my mentors so now you know what is wrong with me. LOL! I always have 45 motors available and wanted to do the same thing, but I am too damn lazy. Keep after it!
Hank

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers apehanger - any ideas appreciate - if you have seen similar done you are the closest to anyone having done it i can find...

people keep telling me to not do it bla bla...

its a kraftech frame [suckerpunchsally roller - worked out cheapest way of getting the parts i wanted and they seem pretty cool to deal with]

... well alignment is my main worry with this build to be honest...

im looking at putting a revtech 4 speed in there and was intending ofsetting the motor basically working my way forwards - i have set the rear wheel in the center and still need to buy my transmission to get that in straight then forwards to the engine - if it is far left i will just have to do something funky with the pipes to fill the gap :)

i am raising the engine a bit aswell for looks so it is on wood blocks at the minute just to add to the confusion

the red primer is on so it doesnt go rusty while im building it and i can weld a bit or whatever and just rattle some more on - that way when its dry built i can ride it kinda almost painted for a bit as a really long shakedown... then sand blast and onto a world of funky paintwork

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well, this is what I can remember about it....I was 16 when he did this so my memory may be a little fuzzy. He mounted the transmission/clutch assembly and the rear wheel. Ran the chain from the trans sprocket to the rear wheel, made sure everything was aligned correctly and then he set the 45 motor in the frame. Here's what I don't remember...I am sure he used a BT motor sprocket on the 45 motor shaft...it might have been a UL, but for some reason I think it was a knuck sprocket. I remember him telling me he used to run big twin clutch hubs and motor sprockets on his 45s because they were easier to get, I just don't remember the details. At any rate, the next alignment was between the motor sprocket and the clutch sprocket. He mounted the primary chain and using a straight edge he adjusted the motor to the left until the primary chain was straight. He then checked the right side (oil pump/cam case) of the motor to make sure it was as straight as possible in the frame. As you noticed, it does leave a bit of a gap and causes exhaust pipe mounting issues (will get to that later). He determined where he needed his case mounting holes and pulled everthing apart and drilled the oils. He put it all back together and then decided he needed to raise the motor just a bit (sound familiar?) for looks and to make the primary chain alignment a little smoother. He raised the motor I believe using 1/4" or 1/2" shims that he either found somewhere or had made at a machine shop (I doubt...he was always a DIY guy). At any rate, the motor bolted in nicely and everything was aligned. Now to the pipes. There is nothing stock or aftermarket that will fit and look good...period. The gap makes things interesting and requires fabbing your own pipes. Just to be different, he ran his pipes out the left (primary) side. He also welded Chevy header flanges to his cylinders and then used the Chevy exhaust flange and gasket to mate the pipes to the cylinders. He ran both pipes scrambler style down the left side. The rest of the build was just like any other he had done. The bike always looked different...not odd, just different. The "experts" were always trying to figure out what he had done and I heard a ton of BS swapped around by different "experts". None even got close. LOL! I always thought that he should have "narrowed or sectioned" the frame to make the motor fit square...but that would cause all kinds of rear wheel and axle issue and his way worked, it was cheap at the time and he managed to use up parts that were laying around the garage. The 45 motor had been stroked...believe with Indian Chief flywheels and ran Chevy pistons and valves. He told me it was running around 58 cubic inches. I know it had WR cams and roller bearings and a mag. He made an adapter and was running some type of Ford auto or tractor carb...wish I had paid more attention to that one. He ran the primary open with just a small guard above the chain. The bottom line is it can be done and you are doing it. Keep after it, I think you will like the results.
Hank

·
Registered
344 Posts
coming on nice mate.
Stromberg is the way forward! Will look bad ass!!! and although i'm sure it's been done,. i've never seen one. I love using parts off my cars on my bikes... Makes them much more personal, and confuses the hell out of people!

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Apehanger Hank said:
Smug pots
Hank
Smudge pots, yep.

Smudge pots were what road construction workers used on barricades and road signs before electricity was readily available anywhere you needed it. Fill w/ kerosene, hang from sign, light.

I bought one and thought about it for a minute on my Panhead but realized it'd only hold about two courts of oil.

It's weird that Americans aren't cool w/ the idea of building 45's? W/ Indian Chief flywheels you can build a pretty peppy stroker.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well - im stroked and mildly bored so i recon i am at about 55cu

all sounds re-assuring on the alignment front...

next problem has reared its head though... gearing...

i got sent this through

"The stock 45 clutch and therefore the transmission primary sprocket are
considerably smaller than the big twin. You will need a fairly large
motor sprocket to keep the engine from redlining at 40 mph. In other words the primary ratio needs to be close the stock 45 ratio."

i was intending using an adapted bigtwin belt drive primary and then correcting the gearing on the rear wheel - will this not work if i just put a smal sprocket on the wheel?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rocks Chops said:
Damn, thats lookin' sweet. It looks neat with the primer.
ha just noticed - cheers

so is it ok if i leave it that way and call it my "OLD SKOOL RAT-ROD STYLE BOBBER" [ducks and runs for cover....]:rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
you got a few late nights in store if youre gonna make it to Oldtimers this year;) . You might want to chat with sLowrider; another 45 chopper dude.

Loving the primer. English weather's gonna stick nicely to that.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ha - oldtimers isnt going to happen this year... - i dont think they'd have me anyways...

the primer is temporary!!!! better than rusting in my garage as i build it

im on the emails a bit with slowrider already - seems a good dude and has a very sweet bike...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok - another update on the 45 project

its a roller.... woooo... i like the looks a lot - really happy with it - sits a bit high at the front but i guess when i get an engine in there it will drop a little

all in all i recon this is going to turn into a really cool brutish little bike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts