Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys,

Question: any of you know a good company that makes an engine to motorize a bicycle? I have a '48 JC Higgins that I'm just getting down to restoring, but I'm obsessed with flat trackers, and it occurs to me this thing'd look a lot more like a flat tracker if it had an engine; if the tank were a gas tank, etc.
Not sure I'm going to go that way yet; just wondering what you guys know about this Whizzer kinda stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Theo

·
Registered
779 Posts
Theo, I'm a vintage bicycle and Whizzer motorbike collector and what I can say is: if it's a Deluxe model, restore and preserve that vintage bicycle.

You can easily build a bordtracker replica from scratch, using easily available components.

Here is a fine example, built by a member of the Yahoo 'Motorbike' group:

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh yeah, 72MPH is the fastest i've had it so far,but it seems it would easily break the ton,we'll see when I get some more bracing and such done.Pretty fuckin fast on bi-cycle tires and no brakes,I assure you.It is a fuckin blast to ride,especially on two wheels.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
i gots to build me one of those. has it got a live rear axle or does one wheel free rotate ? btw, you up for some powder coating next week ? i'd like to get the trees done on that wideglide, just need to grind the trash off them first.

·
Registered
139 Posts
lilbill said:
i gots to build me one of those. has it got a live rear axle or does one wheel free rotate ? btw, you up for some powder coating next week ? i'd like to get the trees done on that wideglide, just need to grind the trash off them first.
Yes sir,she's my swapmeet special,yeah I rode her here today!Live axle,6.5 Tecumseh,really spindly,and really fuckin scary.I am always down for some coating,just lemme know when you wanna do it.I need to come by and get that triumph junk outta your way.I need to get this Trump bobber finished so I can get started on my new shop.I'll give you a call this weekend when I get a chance and we'll figure out when you wanna get together.I'll try and get the trike axle welded up so you can ride it.later

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey Whizzerick,

Are the new Whizzers any good, or are they crap just like everything else today?

I wouldn't mind having one, but can't find an old one I can afford...could build one, I guess.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm suprised Fat Hack hasn't chimed in here. He's got a B&S powered girl's bike.

Personally, though, I'd rather see the bike restored and something homebuilt produced in its place. One more bike in the world is always a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Whizzerick!
That Flying Merkel is awesome. I know if I try to convert this Higgins to motorized, I'm looking a lot longer of a project--but I got nothing else going on, so I might have to do it.

Great inspiration.

Theo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts