Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rigid I am doing. Found an Evo, but have a gut feeling. Not sure why. What are the things you look for? Would rather go with a Shovel. But not real picky at the moment.

·
Registered
978 Posts
depends.....is money an issue???

if so, then an EVO is the only way!

I'm running a Fatso. (hybred EVO lower, TC upper)
I thought that this would be the cheapest mil to build as I already had the top half given to me...........................NOPE!!!

Too much machine work needed to be done, and the pistons alone cost $400.00!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a rigid I am doing. Found an Evo, but have a gut feeling. Not sure why. What are the things you look for? Would rather go with a Shovel. But not real picky at the moment.
My first question is regarding the rigid and what parts you currently have. If you don't have an mso for the rigid, you may have trouble titling anything you build. HD started putting full VINs on frames in 1970. If you have a factory neck with a 1970 and later VIN and a title, but the frame was converted to rigid, then no problem. Whatever motor you get, you better at least get a bill of sale.

The issue of evo vs. shovel is complicated. All depends on how you are going to use the bike when it is done. All things being fairly equal, evos tend to survive longer than a shovel before the next rebuild, but a shovel draws greater attention in certain circles. Nothing sounds like a shovel.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Evo have a design flaw with the cam bearings. One end is supported by a needle bearing and the other side is supported by a bushing and the gear drive. Once you get some wear in the bushing, it puts the needle bearing out of alignment and takes the needle bearing out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the MSO for frame. Evo sounds good, but was thinking while watching Sons of Anarchy and the final on Build Off. I had a buddy pass away 4 years ago. He gave his Shivel to the daughter and son-in-law. I really don't think they are going to do anything with it. I am trying to find them as I write. He has a swing-arm frame. But I am going to do the rigid. So I hope my problem is fixed. I save a bike that a friend owned and get a Shovel in the whole deal. Thanks for the input. I may have some mid 70's roller stuff later.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Evo have a design flaw with the cam bearings. One end is supported by a needle bearing and the other side is supported by a bushing and the gear drive. Once you get some wear in the bushing, it puts the needle bearing out of alignment and takes the needle bearing out.
And this "flaw" (which was really a production issue in choosing a cheaper INA bearing) can be fixed with a $25 Torrington B-138 bearing in about 30 minutes time.

Hardly a reason to avoid evos.

Did I just fall for a troll?

Jason

·
Super Moderator
4,071 Posts
That bearing wasn't "designed" for the Blockhead.

It's the same dang thing as the Shovelhead inner cam bearing. They just used a different supplier (INA) rather than Torrington to save money.

A poor decision? Absolutely.

A "design flaw"? Maybe - on INA's part. The bearing was clearly not designed to run in the environment it lives in. If you want to cast blame, blame INA. They're the ones who used plastic in a design in an effort to save money. The design works, the material doesn't.

-L.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd see if you can pick up you're Buddy's old shovel first
a rigid shovel catches my attention before an rigid evo + maybe the shovel motor has more style or belonging in a rigid, not to say an evo short chop looks great as well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.