Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay...so...
correct me if i'm wrong in my thinking...

open belt primary deletes the necessity for an 'inner primary', but you still need to tie the motor to the trans (in some applications) and thats what the motorplate is for...right??

thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Motor plate often alligns the engine and transmission, keeps proper belt tension in higher torque/horsepower situations, and often supports an electric starter.

Not nessesary in most kick-only, stock hp/torque situations. Plus it looks alot cooler in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've been told that not running a motor plate works fine for 4 speed transmissions, but not for 5-speeds, since the tranny plate on a 4-speed is much beefier that a 5-speed plate. I think Fab Kevin was the one who told me that many moons ago.

As far as alignment, I bought a fucked up inner primary for the sole purpose of aligning my drivetrain, after which I pulled it off and ran my setup with a Fab Kevin motor plate (my main bike has a 5-speed).

alteredpilot said:
okay...so...
correct me if i'm wrong in my thinking...

open belt primary deletes the necessity for an 'inner primary', but you still need to tie the motor to the trans (in some applications) and thats what the motorplate is for...right??

thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts