Jockey Journal Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well....He does have a 67 FLH....

Guess it could have been a 57 FLH....with a 45 single record player...
Had one hung underdash on a 57 Sport Coupe Chevy....

................These was the shit in the early 60's........................

..........................Pre-Dates the 8-Track.............................

=======================================================

...A word on a complete rebuild of the Mag...

If you send it to Morris Mag for a rebuild...
They can install "Rare Earth Magnets" in the critter....

What this does is give the rotor a stronger magnetic field to work in...The results is a hotter spark at all speeds....Helps alot at kick over speed...

That service will run around $500 to go all the way with the up-graded magnets...

The read deal for a kick start Bike is a "Snap Mag"
They wind up at kick over speed and at the right time release to spin the rotor really fast making kicking to life super easy with a mega Hot spark ....

http://www.morrismagneto.com/products.html

Impulse G-5 would be the ticket....
I wouldn't install rare earth magnets as you cannot recharge them when they weaken as you can with traditional magnets.

I wouldn't run the impulse G-5 for a couple of reasons ,it looks shitty and it wears out frequently...ask anyone who has put a lot of miles on one.
The Genny Shovel case doesn't have that "man with a third nipple relay boss"
so you are good to go with a Morris mm74.
I have a 67 and 68 and am running a morris mm74, kick only with mid star wheels and late juice drums.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The G5 and M5 are great as is the rare Earth mag if you have a big inch motor. The mm74s don't spin as fast and the rare Earth makes a good spark for something with a long stroke and high compression. It's a matter of being able to get the right amount of kick revolutions.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I've seen mention of these rare earth magnet in the morris website and here also...
After the previous adventures of mine, I'm curious about what are those and how does the magneto works inside...
I'm not an ingenior so I might not understand completely the process but if someone can explain me the basic of it, with simple words, that would be awesome !

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
A word on the "Snap Mags"

Worked for the KY. DOT
As a mechanic..

They had a boom Bush-Hog that would reach over Guard-Rails and down steep hills....The Hyd. came from a Wisconsin V-4 mounted on the side of a Massey Ferguson tractor....

This motor had a zillion Hours of operation time on the meter....(Oil Burner)
I did a complete rebuild to it....It had a Fairbanks-Morris Snap Mag doing the spark....

It got a good look see as the build was going on....Did nothing to it but replaced the points and cond...Didn't really have a need to do that as points don't cook like a batt.ign. does....

Went back into service for another Zillion Hours...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well....He does have a 67 FLH....

Guess it could have been a 57 FLH....with a 45 single record player...
Had one hung underdash on a 57 Sport Coupe Chevy....

................These was the shit in the early 60's........................

..........................Pre-Dates the 8-Track.............................

=======================================================

...A word on a complete rebuild of the Mag...

If you send it to Morris Mag for a rebuild...
They can install "Rare Earth Magnets" in the critter....

What this does is give the rotor a stronger magnetic field to work in...The results is a hotter spark at all speeds....Helps alot at kick over speed...

That service will run around $500 to go all the way with the up-graded magnets...

The read deal for a kick start Bike is a "Snap Mag"
They wind up at kick over speed and at the right time release to spin the rotor really fast making kicking to life super easy with a mega Hot spark ....

http://www.morrismagneto.com/products.html

Impulse G-5 would be the ticket....
Ha ha ha thats some funny shit forgot all about the 45 player buddy had a new 59 impala we put one in and thought we were the shit driving the vert
wtf you still have yours

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Ha ha ha thats some funny shit forgot all about the 45 player buddy had a new 59 impala we put one in and thought we were the shit driving the vert
wtf you still have yours
Had the 57 Chevy for more then 30 years...Sold it about 15 years ago...
The 45 player got replaced with an 8-Track ...

It didn't like pot-holes or RR Tracks at all.....
Sitting at the A&W Root Beer Stand...It did fine...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
447 Posts
would this imply that you could run a mag in a fixed advanced position
retard the timing for start, then flick off the switch and go?

Effectively you wouldn't have to shave your cases for a mm74e because you could ride it in a fixed position??

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
would this imply that you could run a mag in a fixed advanced position
retard the timing for start, then flick off the switch and go?

Effectively you wouldn't have to shave your cases for a mm74e because you could ride it in a fixed position??
Sure looks like it does the same job as the retard-able Mag Base ...
This would be a Grand Up-Grade for all the fixed Mags from yesteryear's...

Namely the 63 and back CH's....

·
Registered
665 Posts

Yeah Jesse, the Movement is under the cap, you do away with the left bar swivel, cable, swivel mag base etc.. = Lighter, so you need to bend over and flick the little lever.. keep them guessing... I'm thinking of going this route as Morris will build me a Mag for the 66 XLCH, I'm savin my Shillings..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

yeah i put one on my 1960 xlch stroker and it works great no more kickbacks etc and nice easy starts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently found an old 65 XLCH that has been sitting for? 20+ years. Fuel in the tank was pretty thick. Ran a couple gallons of clean fuel through the tank, removed carb for cleaning, pulled old screen type filter from tank etc...Need some spark. I'm figurin that the magneto key switch is what's holding me back. I need to know if there is a way to bypass key switch on Magneto or eliminate it completely. I'm not sure what model # is G5? H5? MM3? I know it is has a Fairbanks tag on the back side(the side that faces the motor). I've seen some info on this page but no schematic that speaks specifically about this model/year/issue.
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
I recently found an old 65 XLCH that has been sitting for? 20+ years. Fuel in the tank was pretty thick. Ran a couple gallons of clean fuel through the tank, removed carb for cleaning, pulled old screen type filter from tank etc...Need some spark. I'm figurin that the magneto key switch is what's holding me back. I need to know if there is a way to bypass key switch on Magneto or eliminate it completely. I'm not sure what model # is G5? H5? MM3? I know it is has a Fairbanks tag on the back side(the side that faces the motor). I've seen some info on this page but no schematic that speaks specifically about this model/year/issue.
Any help would be appreciated
Could take off the wire from the key switch, that will allow the mag, in a sense, be on at all times...

Morris has all the parts to put a new key switch in that...
They can also cut you a new key for what you already have there...
You would need to take out the old Key switch and send it to them..
Not hard to do that...There is a brass pin on the back side of the black plastic that will release the key switch..Will need to hook the key hole with something in order to pull it out...

Forgot to say...On that brass pin....
With the key is in the on, it will be on the top side...
If it's in the OFF mode....It will be under and a booger to get to..
Also once the key assembly come out there will be a ball and spring that may fall out of the mag housing....And may not...This is the detent for off and on modes of the key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ya thanks Dragstews. I haven't yet dug into the mag, but later plan on it. Are you saying this wire on the key switch is grounding the mag and by removing it, the mag (hopefully) will function as if it never had a key switch? Then, if it does fire up, I can ground it to shut down the spark.?! (similar to dirt bikes)
OK not quite sure about the innards of the magneto but the black plastic piece appears to be a part of key switch assembly, and I'm assuming this is where the wire will be found that needs removing?(the black plastic piece I speak of appears in the photo with the screw sticking out of it top right)

Attachments

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
61 - 80 of 92 Posts