Jockey Journal Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yes, although the plastic piece is not necessary, I use a feeler gauge bolted to the stud, and just bend it to contact the body of the mag to ground it out and shut the bike off. The voltage is so low you don't feel it.
The feeler gauge is a good idea.

The little red plastic push in button that comes on the kill tab will fall out sooner or later, and when it does, you don't need it. Also, you're going to have to run solid core plug wires, not the carbon core ones. I learned that the hard way. Mine would start with the carbon core wires but they stopped working at a higher RPM, leaving me stranded. Took a while to figure that one out. I said, "This magneto is a piece of shit!", turns out I didn't know what I was doing. Live and learn.

·
Registered
692 Posts
"In Other Words, the Magneto is Completey Separate than the Electrical System to Operate the Lights, Horn, 8 Track Player, etc.."

^That just made my fuckin day...thanks.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Yes, although the plastic piece is not necessary, I use a feeler gauge bolted to the stud, and just bend it to contact the body of the mag to ground it out and shut the bike off. The voltage is so low you don't feel it.
I remember a guy that use a feeler gauge as a start button on an e-start Shovel. He bent one attached to one post and hovering over the other on the solenoid, then covered it with the rubber boot. When he wanted to start, he pushed the feeler, completed the circuit and started the bike.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
"In Other Words, the Magneto is Completey Separate than the Electrical System to Operate the "8 Track Player"
Well....He does have a 67 FLH....

Guess it could have been a 57 FLH....with a 45 single record player...
Had one hung underdash on a 57 Sport Coupe Chevy....

................These was the shit in the early 60's........................

..........................Pre-Dates the 8-Track.............................

=======================================================

...A word on a complete rebuild of the Mag...

If you send it to Morris Mag for a rebuild...
They can install "Rare Earth Magnets" in the critter....

What this does is give the rotor a stronger magnetic field to work in...The results is a hotter spark at all speeds....Helps alot at kick over speed...

That service will run around $500 to go all the way with the up-graded magnets...

The read deal for a kick start Bike is a "Snap Mag"
They wind up at kick over speed and at the right time release to spin the rotor really fast making kicking to life super easy with a mega Hot spark ....

http://www.morrismagneto.com/products.html

Impulse G-5 would be the ticket....
For Hi-Compression, Built, Bad-to-the-Bone, Kick Start Only Motors...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I guess I'm a lucky ignorant bastard... :)

I cleaned the points, rewired the coil, mounted everything back, kicked few times, timing was wrong (off course...what did you expect!?! ahah ), adjusted the timing, and 2 kicks later she was running !!! :))

I guess I have been fast enough to shut the power off, yesterday, when I had the feeling that something was wrong. the cable of the coil worked as a fuse.
I did a short 10 miles ride today, it went ok, I'll do a longer one anytime soon.

At least, now I know why those mags are so expensive, it's because they are built to resist to dumb people like me !!!

Thanks again to everybody who helped me here !
Lesson learnt.

Vins

PS: I don't see the room for the 8 tracks or the 45 single record players yet, but as soon as I'm ready to install them, I'll ask some advice about the wiring here... ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I believe in this case that the 23A-23B reverse feedback loop is overamplifying 14 causing static in 20 preventing 16 from occuring. n That said, I'm going to unburden my 18 and go play with my bike.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well....He does have a 67 FLH....

Guess it could have been a 57 FLH....with a 45 single record player...
Had one hung underdash on a 57 Sport Coupe Chevy....

................These was the shit in the early 60's........................

..........................Pre-Dates the 8-Track.............................

=======================================================

...A word on a complete rebuild of the Mag...

If you send it to Morris Mag for a rebuild...
They can install "Rare Earth Magnets" in the critter....

What this does is give the rotor a stronger magnetic field to work in...The results is a hotter spark at all speeds....Helps alot at kick over speed...

That service will run around $500 to go all the way with the up-graded magnets...

The read deal for a kick start Bike is a "Snap Mag"
They wind up at kick over speed and at the right time release to spin the rotor really fast making kicking to life super easy with a mega Hot spark ....

http://www.morrismagneto.com/products.html

Impulse G-5 would be the ticket....
If You are Old Enough to Remember IN-A-GADDA-DI-VIDA I raise a glass to you because you made it this far thru some crazy times, I realize that I just hi jacked this magneto thread but I Think He's Got It By Now !?!?
About 8 Tracks, it was not the tape that took a dive over time but that Foam backing that turned to shit and got dried out...
Jesse, I remember the Cool Greaser Guys in Brooklyn that had those under the dash 45 players, I was a bit younger but man that was the shit to see...

Funny that I just stopped by one of the Magneto Kings this afternoon...
Dave of Morris Magneto-Morristown NJ, you guessed it, they were bagging out Magneto Bodies outta Billet but many finishes are available... looking forward to their 4 plug set up hopefully soon...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I believe in this case that the 23A-23B reverse feedback loop is overamplifying 14 causing static in 20 preventing 16 from occuring. n That said, I'm going to unburden my 18 and go play with my bike.
I knew it, this shit is once again too complicate for me...:rolleyes:
I guess I won't be able to run the 8 tracks on the 67... (at least, not today ;))

Remember it....:D

Shoot...I got it on a 45 record..:p

Is there a dedicated thread for music in the JJ?
Seems like it's about time to start one, if not...

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Cool....

Never could get the Hang of these moves....

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1883898/matrix-bullet-dodge.html

===============================================

As said about the Spark Plug Wires....Solid Core is needed....
Also Non-resistance Plugs....

Mags have a loss of Spark pushing though the resistance of Wires and Plugs making the Spark very weak jumping the Gap at the Plugs...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

41 - 60 of 92 Posts