Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today I tried to mount a Morris magneto on my 67 shovel, and everything went wrong...
I'm very frustrated and hope someone here will be able to help me.

First of all, I mounted everything as it seems correct to me, following the instruction of the video released by morris (
)

when I tried to kick the bike, no spark at the plug and a smoke came from the mag !
I opened it to see that the wire going from the coil to the ruptor had burnt...

What is the basic wiring inside and outside the mag?
Is there a difference between a 6volts mag and a 12volts mag or they are the same? (the mag came off a running 1958 duo glide)

Vins

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here what I've got now !

the cut wire was from the coil to the ruptor

and the outside wire comes from the positive at the battery

·
Banned
7,407 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Yeah, you don't connect a magneto to a battery. The stud goes to either a ground switch key like on a Pollak key switch or some other sort of kill switch to ground/kill the magneto. You ran charge back into it. Hopefully all you did was fry the coil. You might want to get a hold of Dave or someone at Morris and tell them what you did.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ouch ! I'm such a beginner...
what is supposed to be pluged there ?
and where does the 12volts positive comes from ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, you don't connect a magneto to a battery. The stud goes to either a ground switch key like on a Pollak key switch or some other sort of kill switch to ground/kill the magneto. You ran charge back into it. Hopefully all you did was fry the coil. You might want to get a hold of Dave or someone at Morris and tell them what you did.
Oh fuck !
so that stud pluged to a switch to the ground to turn off the bike.
otherwise it can stay with nothing plugged? (if you have a central key for ex?)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Read what I said again. It sounds like you need to learn about magnetos before making the decision to install one.

The simple fact is, magnetos need no power and that stud is to kill it once it's running. The idea is very basic, but make sure you understand.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Oh fuck !
so that stud pluged to a switch to the ground to turn off the bike.
otherwise it can stay with nothing plugged? (if you have a central key for ex?)
Yes, if you have no way of grounding it, then it will stay energized. There are a million ways to ground it from switched housings, to Pollak marine switches, to simple tabs on the stud to ground it to the body.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.........:eek:........YEP.........:eek:........

The mag is whats called a Closed System....
.........It makes it's own juice...........
The stud is for grounding the system, in turn killing the spark to the motor..
thank you

Read what I said again. It sounds like you need to learn about magnetos before making the decision to install one.

The simple fact is, magnetos need no power and that stud is to kill it once it's running. The idea is very basic, but make sure you understand.
yes sorry, my answer was sent before reading yours.
thank you for the explanation.

I admit bein' a beginner and I made my mistake today ...

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Look at it like this....

As the motor is being kick started.....It spins a rotor inside the Mag...
This has a magnetic field that it spins in, generating it's own juice for making the spark at the plugs.....

The good news is....Those Mags are pretty dang hard to tear up...
The points may be the only thing you will need to replace...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, if you have no way of grounding it, then it will stay energized. There are a million ways to ground it from switched housings, to Pollak marine switches, to simple tabs on the stud to ground it to the body.
So you mean I MUST ground it?

Instead of the + I should have pluged a ground?

You say a switch, so it's not supposed to be pluged to the ground continuously, right ?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Magnetos aren't cheap.

Check the points, put in a new coil and a new condensor while you're at it. Hopefully you didn't fuck up the magnet.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look at it like this....

As the motor is being kick started.....It spins a rotor inside the Mag...
This has a magnetic field that it spins in, generating it's own juice for making the spark at the plugs.....
It makes total sense ... otherwise it will just be a distributor and a coil in the same housing....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I feel miserable....
You live and you learn right?
Sounds like you learned through your wallet this time. That stud, as you surmised after the fact, is your coil ground terminal. You run a wire from it to a switch to the ground. Switch open, mag works. Switch closed, mag grounds, motor stops.

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO N-O-T run the grounding wire to your original ignition switch! Read this last sentence again. And then again.

A magneto, as stated previously, is a stand alone ignition unit. It generates it's own spark. As soon as you hook external voltage to it, you've effectively killed the coil. Send it back to Morris and have it fixed then re-read the installation instructions before doing anything else.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
So you mean I MUST ground it?

Instead of the + I should have pluged a ground?

You say a switch, so it's not supposed to be pluged to the ground continuously, right ?
If it's grounded continuously, you've just opened the circuit and it will never start. It is only grounded when you kill the bike.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts