Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a nos moon machine products wishbone frame from a buddy .i like to know if anyone has run one of these frames.. and any history on the company.. i have tried call but no success... thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
Moon was awesome and very missed. He fixed a triumph frame for me that would have been scrap. Another heavy blow to collective cycle knowledge.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
So I was sitting at parent/teacher conferences the other night and my buddy Eric calls and asks if I want to ride up to someones house to take a look at some parts that might be for sale. I have a hard time turning down an invite like that so we picked up another buddy and ran up there. Turns out that the shop belongs to the widow of Moon. I never knew Moon, but it's been really cool to get to know Diane a bit over the last week or so. Me and Eric struck a deal with her on some amazing stuff. Last night I came home with a truck full of NOS Smith Brother & Fetrow parts. Moon and Diane had apparently bought all of it from Smith and Fetrow when SB&F went out of business. Tonight me and Eric brought home 7 of the nicest frames I've ever seen. 5 straight leg and 2 wishbone, all different year variations. I was incredible to see how much time and care Moon and Diane had devoted over many years to make these frames what they are. I've always been proud of the Minnesota/Midwest chopper and custom history so it was cool to bring home all of the Minnesota made SB&F parts and now these amazing American made frames built right here in Minnesota from beautifully accurate castings that were cast right here in the U.S. I remembered this thread and figured I'd post up a pic for your enjoyment!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I ended up with all of the unsold NOS SB&F struts and while digging through them at home I found the very first one they ever made stamped "SAMPLE"! One of the coolest things I was lucky to bring back with me was the fixture/jig that Donny and Happy Smith used back in the day to drill and tap all the struts, can't believe how well this thing was made!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Wow at the score. Very cool that you got the jig too. If there was a market, you could make them...or at least sell them as customs from the original stock.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
So, I guess the SB&F is worth some money? I have a set of SB&F sprung struts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nice score! There's a good market for those struts. The jig makes it priceless. SB&F cranked out quality parts and pretty innovative bikes in their day. Did you find any of their hardheads or girders?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Great score! Everyone needs a buddy like Eric.
I agree, nice to have good buddies that are into the same stuff as you that can share in the fun!

Wow at the score. Very cool that you got the jig too. If there was a market, you could make them...or at least sell them as customs from the original stock.
There's most definitely a market for them. Lots of guys out there skinnying up their swingarm bikes. I agree, that jig is the coolest part in my opinion!

So, I guess the SB&F is worth some money? I have a set of SB&F sprung struts
Not sure, but it'd be cool if they are, I've got a box of NOS SB&F spring struts now!

WOW!What a sweet catch! nice job
Thanks man!

They look expensive......
Well, truth be told, I lied, we didn't get 7 frames......we got 7 3/4 frames. Here's one for the economically minded bike builder. May need a little TLC, but it's got perfect castings :D!

Nice score. Thanks for sharing
Yeah man, my pleasure!

Nice score! There's a good market for those struts. The jig makes it priceless. SB&F cranked out quality parts and pretty innovative bikes in their day. Did you find any of their hardheads or girders?
Yep, like I mentioned above, there's definitely a market for them. Was very cool to see a lot of the SB&F stuff sitting back there that hadn't seen the light of day since the 80's! No hardheads, a few hard tail sections though!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hell of a score! Could some one post a little history on Moon, for those of us who are interested. I tried google and found a shop selling MoonEyes stuff, but no bio etc. Again, very cool find!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hell of a score! Could some one post a little history on Moon, for those of us who are interested. I tried google and found a shop selling MoonEyes stuff, but no bio etc. Again, very cool find!
Wish I could be of more help with regard to this. I was just introduced to Moon's wife through a friend of a friend. I've searched on line several times to find info, but the fact of the matter is that they didn't really ever advertise on line and there's very little info. I'm hoping that Tim (DarkGoat), TEACH, or one of the other guys that may have a better idea of the history of Moon Machine could fill us in. I can say this, the time, sweat, and money that they dedicated to starting and running that business is REALLY impressive! The quality of the castings, the frames, the fixtures and their manufacturing processes is incredible. As far as I know they were the only American made replica castings and frames when they were up and running and the quality really shows. Super cool to find something like that in my own back yard!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts