Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can someone out there tell me what's the relation between Molly and Von Dutch?

Asking cause I'm wondering... The H-D 1970 stramliner was signed Molly and Von Dutch (sadly repainted, not even faithfully in the late 70s):

And the Leo Payne Bonneville Sportster, similar paint design in 71, is also refered to as Molly...

Thanks to Lowbrow Custom blog for the Leo Payne photo...

Thanks in advance!!!

Patrick

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe Molly did the paint work and Von Dutch the striping and lettering? Not all painters are good stripers and vice versa.
Looks like Molly might have done the paint on Tom McMullen's plane too.
Larry T

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well this old fart was there....Molly painted both bikes and Tom's 310. Didn't know of any relationship with von Dutch but anything was possible back then. By the way anyone catch the call sign on tom's plane? N69TM was a custom number using Tom's favorite number and his initials. Molly also painted a couple other of his planes and his jet. Interstingly enough Molly's widow never knew he had painted any planes until recently. By the way Leo's bike is in the Halll of Fame painted exactly like this without the AEE on there. I've said it before but one of my most favorite times at AEE was standing next to that bike on our dyno while Leo ran it at full throttle.......trust me you ain't lived!

·
Registered
447 Posts
If my memory is correct, I believe that the Von Dutch/Molly connection goes back to Dutch's days over here in Tempe, AZ. That would be the very early to mid seventies. I do have a couple of older buddies that I can ask about the whole deal though.

G

·
^^...Yep...^^

Sure beats the Hell out of a Piper J-3 Cub and a Harley Hummer...:D...

===================================================

If Tom had one of these....Y'all could have come and got me...

http://avanimation.avsupport.com/sound/Starting.wav
................^^.......Click to Start.......^^..................
.............................Two to Go................................
.............................Clear Prop................................

This photo was taken about two weeks ago...
The Fellow that you see in the passenger window with the white T shirt on, took a ride in this 1929 Ford Tri Motor for Shits and Giggles... ;)
199 of these where built ...Less then a few are still air worthy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thought I'd bump this back up just to say I was wrong. the Molly connection wasn't around here in Tempe, but over back on the coast. Sounds like eveybody else knew that though. A goo buddy of mine owned a bar in that particular erea of Tempe back in the day, was also a rider and knew everybody invilve in the Dutch deal here in town. He threw allot of names quickly that I can't quite remember that were involved in the shop Dutch was in in Tempe. If any body cares about thios time period I will write them down for all.

G

·
Molly also painted a couple other of his planes and his jet. Interstingly enough Molly's widow never knew he had painted any planes until recently.
A photo of Tom's Jet......

Tom's T-33 jet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_T-33_Shooting_Star

Tom bought an ex-Canadian Lockheed T-33 jet (based on the P-80 Shooting Star) in the early 70's. He was one of the first 6 owners of privately held ex-military jets in the US. It was on the cover of Street Chopper at one point in it's Molly paint. After he sold it it went through a few hands and as of 2008 was in Tennessee. It is currently listed as experimental/.racing and the registration is N72JR. Tom's number was N4TM. The first picture is the jet from when the EAA owned it in 2003 and the second is as it sat in 2008. It is T33-295 RCAF21295 build date of 6.5.54.....and now the AEE jet!

I would almost Kill for some Airtime in that critter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
252 Posts
Rare Von Dutch items up for sale

Tornado Designs, who published the awesome Von Dutch book, are helping someone sell 3 Von Dutch items up on a popular auction site.
Not mine, but I can wish. Figured a lot of people would like to see

·
Registered
820 Posts
When tom has this jet it was also painted by Molly...it was on cover of Street Chopper. He eventually got in trouble with it. At time he bought it it was one of only I think 6 private ex-fighter jets. He had all the employees go outside one day and he buzzed the shop with it.....last time a fighter jet buzzed Placentia I'm sure!

A photo of Tom's Jet......

Tom's T-33 jet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_T-33_Shooting_Star

Tom bought an ex-Canadian Lockheed T-33 jet (based on the P-80 Shooting Star) in the early 70's. He was one of the first 6 owners of privately held ex-military jets in the US. It was on the cover of Street Chopper at one point in it's Molly paint. After he sold it it went through a few hands and as of 2008 was in Tennessee. It is currently listed as experimental/.racing and the registration is N72JR. Tom's number was N4TM. The first picture is the jet from when the EAA owned it in 2003 and the second is as it sat in 2008. It is T33-295 RCAF21295 build date of 6.5.54.....and now the AEE jet!

I would almost Kill for some Airtime in that critter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts