Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a complete I'm interested in. But the engine numbers have me worried.
The frame VIN # is 1HD1AEK13BY******, seventeen stampings. This is the VIV number on both registration and title. My homemade VIN book tells me it's a (1)USA made (HD)Harley. (1) Heavyweight, (AEK) 80" FXE (13) Regular Intro Iate (B)1981 (Y) York PA. factory, then last six stampings are the sequential serial number. These number are stamped correctly

The Engine serial numbers look like Harley stamps, no grinding of location. But the numbers stamped are 1HD1AEKB, followed by the same six stamping serial number.

So...what's missing on the engine is (Regular Intro date) and (Y)York PA manufactured.

My assembled book says '81 should have 17 digit frame number. It does! Says it could have abbreviated engine number, missing first four stampings. So, 1HD1, should be the missing numbers, not theabove?

It's a real deal, but should I be leery? One friend blamed it on AMF.

Big Thanks, keep the faith,
Charlie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Buy it and change all the numbers...

On a serious note, why not take it to the dmv to have it and the paperwork inspected, if the guys on the up and up then he should agree. if he says no, his shit aint clean ya dig?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The motor numbers are corect, they dont have all the same numbers as the frame, just most of them and the ones they have, not the example dude just gave ya.....Roach.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If its an 81, its not an AMF thing, amf's last production run was February 1980. There's no problem with those #'s, its very common to have them out of sequense, or to omitt a letter or two. Remember that these are hand stamped by some hung over dude in the early 80's.. I don't remember much before 88.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If its an 81, its not an AMF thing, amf's last production run was February 1980. There's no problem with those #'s, its very common to have them out of sequense, or to omitt a letter or two. Remember that these are hand stamped by some hung over dude in the early 80's.. I don't remember much before 88.
...Ha!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can call Harley Davidson custumer service and request a Historical check on the bike.
give them the frame VIN, engine VIN, engine belly numbers and the stamped numbers on the tranny case.
In a few days/week you will get a call from HD, the guy who does historical research will tell you the history of the bike and if the numbers match or which dont.
They will even tell you in which state the bike was orig. sold, orig bike color and options. plus you will get a letter in the mail from HD with the same explination.
I did this a few weeks ago for my 1975 FX, best part, its free

·
Registered
978 Posts
Good advice from MC ^^^

They also have an archives office, and will send you (once again...for FREE*), production runs for just about any model you wanna know about.

Had to do a search on a '42 knuckle frame awhile back, and the info we received was awesome!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the phone call from Harley Customer Service. He said that 1HD1 should NOT be part of engine serial number. There should only be ten characters. Had no explanation how those characters might have gotten there.

He verified frame numbers as '81 Tour Glide, Numbers properly stamped horizontally,
with location on left side in front of tank near fork tube.

Dave 63 and Destralo Roach, You guys sound like you've had some experience in the numbers dept. Any thoughts or suggestions? I had thought that if you needed Harley replacement cases, you had to turn in damaged cases and dealer stamped the new ones with original numbers.

One mo' time, thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a while. but I figure I owe all you guys who gave me advice an update. Sorry 'bout the photos, Roach. Before I could travel the ninety miles to take photos, the seller sold.

I called Harley, a guy returned the phone call in three days. I don't think Medieval torturers could get the Harley factory to admit that Harley ever missed a dot or forgot to cross a "t"...or screwed up hand punched numbers. He said it was probably bogus, that he'd never seen anything like it, and that I should avoid it.

A friend who still works at a Harley dealership says he's seen plenty of screw-ups in his forty years, and that those numbers shouldn't be a problem. By then, it had been sold.

So, this particular witch hunt is over, at least for me. I've got to wish the new owner luck.
With matching cases/frames/paper becoming more scarce, my best advice is have everything checked out carefully.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Well sorry that it got away, but sometimes that happens, good luck on your search, you'll find some thing.....Roach.

And I have seen factory number fuchups....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And, avoid any bike where the seller offers to throw in the Harbor Freight stamps with it. Kidding.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's too easy to walk away from bad numbers and find good stuff. Not worth the effort to work around bad stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts