Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a bike together for someone who insists upon a certain level of comfort on the long rides, so I had the idea of trying to make a set of these mini boards with with stock shovel FX mid controls.

The description usually says specifically they're not for use with mids; while I don't have them in my hands yet, some preliminary measuring and eyeballing doesn't throw up any immediate red flags or anything I couldn't fabricate my way out of.

Has anyone tried this before?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yes,

There used to be an fxwg (evo 4 speed) parked out in front of that tweeker bike & gun shop in Salem - I asked about them (this was going on 15+ yrs ago and there've been some chemical dalliances in that time so the ol' duder's head doesn't necessarily serve me well in placing things) - the answer was it was simple - some longer bolts, and some spacers...

Now granted, remember the source (me) and the place (sketchville) but it looked stock(ish)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would think that the brake pedal would be almost too low to use effectively as the pedal on floor board equipped bikes is above the surface of the boards. Maybe see what they have to say over on Motorcycle.dot.com.............
WUZFUZ

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would think that the brake pedal would be almost too low to use effectively as the pedal on floor board equipped bikes is above the surface of the boards. Maybe see what they have to say over on Motorcycle.dot.com.............
WUZFUZ
I see what you did there. LOL.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Not quite the question you asked, but you can use regular foot boards if you weld a tab onto the frame (repro available). That missing tab is the only difference between '70s era FX and FL frames.

I'm putting a bike together for someone who insists upon a certain level of comfort on the long rides, so I had the idea of trying to make a set of these mini boards with with stock shovel FX mid controls.

The description usually says specifically they're not for use with mids; while I don't have them in my hands yet, some preliminary measuring and eyeballing doesn't throw up any immediate red flags or anything I couldn't fabricate my way out of.

Has anyone tried this before?

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
I see what you did there. LOL.
Funny because I didn't get it yesterday when I first read that post. It became clear though after reading about the forum getting sold.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured I'd wrap this up before it got cluttered with "consumers with discussions ranging from advice on which motorcycle to buy, to the latest part and modification for tuning-up the hottest bikes."
(for real, check it out http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/advertise.php )

Anyway, these ended up working great. As you can see there's clearance for the brake pedal; shifter side I had to make a spacer to move the clevis out .5 or so so the shifter would swing. Nice to have mids with lots of room for moving your feet. The shifter side perspective is goofy, the lever isn't nearly that high up.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Yeah I was worried about the cluttering of the board.

Those boards do look good and definately give you more options. As far as the shift side, get another lever and give it a little bend for some more height.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The clevises (clevii?) came with them...the female sides were on the bike already holding the footpegs.

Seriously, aside from making that little spacer, it was a 15 minute project.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Naked Lunch is one of the weirdest fucking movies I've ever seen. Need to read the book sometime.
It's a tough read...I'd recommend you start with Junky, then Interzone.

The movie actually has more to do with Interzone than NL if I recall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts