1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Dont know much about this new ones but my friends got a half hub/ half spool on the front of his with new internals and it doesnt stop for shit. Itll hold you at a stop but thats about it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
they are crap with a capitol C. don't stop for crap but most importantly, hard to mount to any front end except a springer or girder with a nub for that brake. by hard to mount, I mean it never works out to hold itself steady under easy or hard brakeing, it wiggle woggles around and I think is dangerous and perhaps prone to wadding up. they scare me and I have been on lots of death traps. New ones might be not as good of engineering as the old ones, don't know.

that being said, I have one here with like 6 miles on it that i will sell you for $150 plus shipping.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The mini brakes were never meant to stop a bike. They were a way around the laws that required a brake on the front and still have the spool wheel look.
I assume the brake laws are still on the books. Anyone been ticketed for no front brake lately?

·
Registered
726 Posts
rigidshovel said:
Just came across these and don't mind the look of 'em. I'm assuming that they wouldn't slow you down for shit but then again a factory springer disc brake isn't going to snap my neck with it's braking ability. I'm wondering if anyone has tried em?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTOM-CHOPPER-SPOOL-BRAKE-WHEEL-HARLEY-HONDA-SPRINGER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35578QQitemZ4636664432QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Scotty
have one on my '47 Flathead chopper, just for looks, no cable or brake lever, they wouldn't stop a Snail.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Those mini drum brakes like Hallcraft are junk. the guy who advised the dirtbike wheel gave good advice because they are far better - and cheaper. But I'd still go with a disk or no brake at all if I wanted a certain look.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I got one on my bike now and no it wont stop you but mine works fine. It's not a disc brake so if you're looking for performance in the stopping department don't get one. Mine works to slow me down when riding through town. It will hold you on a hill but thats about it. i think the purpose for these are just what LarryT said, just to save you from getting a ticket. Also whoever polishes these things before chrome sucks. The chrome itself is good but the metal on the rim has like 80 grit scratches in it. They look real cheap in the chrome department.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts