Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a good source for my dual carb 500? id like to get some input as well... my amal 626's seem like they are useless on my bike. slides are worn, the idle mixture adjustment doesnt seem to work, and I just cant get the damn bike dialed in to ride. who sells a good kit, and what can I expect to pay to make the change? I had my bike running decent, then for whatever reason it went to hell, and I cant get fire on #2 cyl. it runs rich as hell too. i ran vaccuum gauges and one cyl is just bouncing all over, maybe a valve is sticking? I cant get it to level out at idle.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
ge tthe sleeves redone if its that bad.. rebuild the carbs with a GOOD kit, and run the amals, mikunis just dont look right, and im SURE someone here will agree with me...

a mikuni setup will set ya back $300-400, and you can get the amals rebuilt by a PRO shop with new sleeves and all for lots less..

jus my 2 cents....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can re-sleeve em myself, I just wanted to go with a carb that has a little more accurate air/fuel delivery system than the amals. ill just adapt one of my strombergs on it. haha. or a single carb conversion with some crazy intake manifold to run a S&S super E or some shit.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Simple. said:
anyone have a good source for my dual carb 500? id like to get some input as well... my amal 626's seem like they are useless on my bike. slides are worn, the idle mixture adjustment doesnt seem to work, and I just cant get the damn bike dialed in to ride. who sells a good kit, and what can I expect to pay to make the change? I had my bike running decent, then for whatever reason it went to hell, and I cant get fire on #2 cyl. it runs rich as hell too. i ran vaccuum gauges and one cyl is just bouncing all over, maybe a valve is sticking? I cant get it to level out at idle.
Sudco sells Mikuni VM kits: www.sudco.com

You'll have to make a carb support bracket because the rubber compliance fittings get soft when hot and the carbs can come loose. Yeah, the Miks don't look as cool as Amals, but they work a lot better. I installed a Sudco Mikuni kit on my '67 Bonnie after completely rebuilding the stock Amal 930 concentrics, only to have them still not work right.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If your taking the vacumn reading from the same place on both cylinders, It sounds like you have Other problems (valve burned, valve not seating, broken spring). I'd address that first as you'll never get the carbs right untill the engine is right. 51Rat is right about the cost and you will also have to be able to tune the carbs to get them right also. I have a Sudco carb set on my wifes 650Tri and had to do quite a bit of jet changing, needle swaping, ect. Once set up right it is a good dependable set up.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts