Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Brit people running Mikuni carbs... did anyone make anything cool to mount their Mikuni carbs? I have the rubber hose, clamps and thread-in fitting, but damn it looks ugly! I would love to see something else other than something that looks like a radiator hose and clamps. Did anyone make anything that has a little bit of a bend to it to sort of bring the carb(s) out to the side?

Show me what you've done...:)

·
Registered
617 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Okay Brit people running Mikuni carbs... did anyone make anything cool to mount their Mikuni carbs? I have the rubber hose, clamps and thread-in fitting, but damn it looks ugly! I would love to see something else other than something that looks like a radiator hose and clamps. Did anyone make anything that has a little bit of a bend to it to sort of bring the carb(s) out to the side?

Amalz 4 Life!!!!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truth said:
Amalz 4 Life!!!!!
Thanks buddy! I really appreciate your help! I have nothing against Amals, in fact they're great... but on this bike it just so happens I have MIKUNIS and would really love to see something other than the piece of shit hoses that mount them...

·
Registered
617 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Thanks buddy! I really appreciate your help! I have nothing against Amals, in fact they're great... but on this bike it just so happens I have MIKUNIS and would really love to see something other than the piece of shit hoses that mount them...
i was just fuckin around, Francis.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truth said:
i was just fuckin around, Francis.
me too bro'!! :D Francis??

Okay, but seriously folks... has anyone mounted their Mikunis using something other than the rubber hoses??? ANYONE?? If not, why?? I know there are some hardcore, make everything-yourself (including the kitchen sink and living room furniture) fabbers out there...

·
Registered
967 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Francis??
As far as I know that comes from the movie "STRIPES." One new private tells all the guys that if any of them call him Francis he'll kill 'em...if any of them touch him...he'll kill 'em. After a few of these warnings, the Drill Sgt. Hulka says, "Lighten up, Francis."

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KnuckleBuster said:
As far as I know that comes from the movie "STRIPES." One new private tells all the guys that if any of them call him Francis he'll kill 'em...if any of them touch him...he'll kill 'em. After a few of these warnings, the Drill Sgt. Hulka says, "Lighten up, Francis."
AHHHH... that's right! Classic! I forgot about that movie... forgive my ignorance to the statement. Thanks for the refresher back to the classics.

Mikuni intakes? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm curious about this also as I have never done a Mikuni conversion and would at least like to be able to make one look nice if I ever do.

Francis ( ;) ), if you could post some up close photos of the Mikuni bases it might foster some good ideas.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BigDdy31 said:
I'm curious about this also as I have never done a Mikuni conversion and would at least like to be able to make one look nice if I ever do.

Francis ( ;) ), if you could post some up close photos of the Mikuni bases it might foster some good ideas.
Maybe this will spark some interest... first time posting a picture. Here goes...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Here's a crazy thought - of course I have no idea what I'm talking about here (if it's obscure movie quotes, I'm there - Brit bikes are a mystery, but I know my way around a Mikuni.

What if you had a machined sleeve that had two o-rings in it, one that slipped around the head and one that slipped around the carb. Then two or three set screws on either end to secure the sleeve good and tight?

I don't know what the intake port looks like on your head, so I don't know if this would work.

Good luck,
Jay

·
Registered
396 Posts
scootermcrad said:
i run dellortHOs and love them...all in the model and jets

GumbyChuck made me some sleeves to adapt em (diet coke and beer)

no reason you couldnt with mikunis

·
Registered
179 Posts
http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html#Vintage

These guys may have what ya need ....
Way back I brazed up a manifold for a Mikuni (flange mount) using steel plates I hand fabed and brass tubing I shaped ... looked and worked real well !....

As far as the Amals ... I love them and run them, but there about one step better than the Lucas crap !.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here's something easy that might do the appearance trick but wouldn't effect performance either up or down. I remember seeing a semi-rigid hose covering in JC Whitney, and I bet a place like Pepboys would have it too, that is sort of a ribbed, chromey looking thing. It would look like ass if you used a lot of it on a car but I bet it would dress up those Mikuni 'radiator hoses' by blending in the carb to engine transition and leading the eye right past it instead of it grabbing so much attention.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
****** said:
i run dellortHOs and love them...all in the model and jets

GumbyChuck made me some sleeves to adapt em (diet coke and beer)

no reason you couldnt with mikunis

Nice looking motor on the bench... super clean!
Yeah, I like the idea of the solid mounts like that. I think someone mentioned above about phyisically attaching a flange to the carb... I thought that might be good too. Attaching a flange to work with the stock bonneville flanges (or something similar) would look clean.

The hoses just look so out of place. Mikunis aren't the nicest looking to begin with and then add the stupid looking hoses..... Anyway just bitching. I would like to eventually come up with something and I'm sort of leaning in the direction of welding flanges to the carbs and fabbing some mating flanges. Won't be for awhile, but thinking ahead of time...

Any thoughts on overall manifold lengths? I heard someone mention on another thread about a little extra performance with a longer intake manifold.

·
Registered
630 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Nice looking motor on the bench... super clean!
Yeah, I like the idea of the solid mounts like that. I think someone mentioned above about phyisically attaching a flange to the carb... I thought that might be good too. Attaching a flange to work with the stock bonneville flanges (or something similar) would look clean.

The hoses just look so out of place. Mikunis aren't the nicest looking to begin with and then add the stupid looking hoses..... Anyway just bitching. I would like to eventually come up with something and I'm sort of leaning in the direction of welding flanges to the carbs and fabbing some mating flanges. Won't be for awhile, but thinking ahead of time...

Any thoughts on overall manifold lengths? I heard someone mention on another thread about a little extra performance with a longer intake manifold.
Mikunis are spigot mount, so a hose is what you get, even in factory applications.

The Dellorto's are made to clamp on to a spigot, so the pieces I made for ****** work.

I wouldn't weld on a precision piece like a carburetor. Can you say distortion?

Longer intake tracts = better top end performance, to an extent.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GumbyChuck said:
Mikunis are spigot mount, so a hose is what you get, even in factory applications.

The Dellorto's are made to clamp on to a spigot, so the pieces I made for ****** work.

I wouldn't weld on a precision piece like a carburetor. Can you say distortion?

Longer intake tracts = better top end performance, to an extent.
That was my next thought: welding on carbs = WAAAY RISKY! I agree...

I guess Mikunis will just always be ugly and so will be the mounting :(

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pure Hell said:
Sorry, I didn't weld on the carb (look good if ya could pull it off ) ... My set-up was more like this with the short rubber mount ......
OO! OO! I like that! Where can I get a couple of those rubber mounts? That would look way better (I think)! :) Do you have a picture on the bike?

·
Registered
179 Posts
scootermcrad said:
OO! OO! I like that! Where can I get a couple of those rubber mounts? That would look way better (I think)! :) Do you have a picture on the bike?
Swiped that picture from those guys that I put the link to above ... Shitty site, but they list the mounts individually.

All metal looks better, but that bit of rubber will help from bouncing the hell out of the carbs and foaming the fuel ... Ya also can make the runners any length you want without support problems .....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts