Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
View attachment 76023
No, I'm not using a solid state, so suggestions are not necessary. I'm trying to diagnose some charging issues. Seems like it's charging but barely. I have the manual and Delco Bulletin 1R-116. I haven't gotten to do a full round of testing yet. Couple things that don't make sense to me from the manual and bulletin:

-61 6V generator and a stock 6v Delco 989 regulator (the one in the pic is a spare)

• Since I have the 2 unit, I don't really see where the "Current Regulator" air gap is applicable. Input?
  • Cutout relay air gap; the bulletin says to push the armature until the points just close then measure the air gap. does this mean that the air gap should be 0 when the points close, or .020" when the points close on the cutout relay?
  • Voltage Regulator: if the points are closed when not running, is the Air gap supposed to be .075" with the points closed, or when the points are open?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Scott, go to page 6 of 1R116 and look at figure 6. Notice they are showing the "air gap " location. I used to work on these a lot. They can be VERY frustrating. Have you checked your generator output completely? Make sure the brush's are free to slide in their holders and clean the mica as per the manuals instructions. You might find someone in your area with a "growler" to check the armature. I wsh you good luck finding a real Delco regulator. In my exp. the aftermarket ones are junk

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hubbard: thanks, i've poured through that bulletin many times (I see where the air gaps are measured), but my questions remain the same. As I said, I'll test the generator today, and I'm comfortable with fixing it if need be. But I'd like to know what the F I'm doing in that regulator. To reiterate:

• I'm assuming the "Current regulator" is only applicable to a different regulator (3-unit) and that it doesn't apply to my 2-unit?
  • "Cutout Relay": air gap and points gap should close at the same time and be ZERO when closed.
  • "Voltage Regulator": when not running, points should be closed and the air gap should be .075"?
And I'm lucky enough to have to Delcos, but we will see if they are worth a shit and/or if I'm smart enough to get them to work.

·
Banned
1,454 Posts
voltage regulators usually dont need much tinkering with. usually its the generators themselves that need to be serviced. have you taken it apart and cleaned everything, made sure the brushes are clean and moving freely, and the springs are still working, also the commutator needs to be nice n clean too.

also, they dont need to put out very much voltage. there isnt a whole lot as far as amps and voltage being pulled while its running. if theres no load on the system, theres no need for the regulator to put out a large amount of electricity. because its not going to take very much to replace the amount used just running. also im assuming youre testing the output while its just running idle. so the moment you get the generator spinning at a good speed its going to put out more volts. so unless you got a bench setup theres really no way to tell how much exactly, but if its a + voltage coming out at idle it should be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hubbard: thanks, i've poured through that bulletin many times (I see where the air gaps are measured), but my questions remain the same. As I said, I'll test the generator today, and I'm comfortable with fixing it if need be. But I'd like to know what the F I'm doing in that regulator. To reiterate:

• I'm assuming the "Current regulator" is only applicable to a different regulator (3-unit) and that it doesn't apply to my 2-unit?
  • "Cutout Relay": air gap and points gap should close at the same time and be ZERO when closed.
  • "Voltage Regulator": when not running, points should be closed and the air gap should be .075"?
And I'm lucky enough to have to Delcos, but we will see if they are worth a shit and/or if I'm smart enough to get them to work.
No you do not have a current regulator. The cut out relay is basically an on-off switch. At idle the generator is not putting out enough juice to energize the core ( electromagnet) and the points are open. Once the core is energized the points close and the gen is connected to the battery. You can watch this happen by crackin the throttle while observing the points. If the voltage regulator is working you can't see it really because it will be vibrating too fast between the two points,-upper and lower. Best I remember on the cutout just lightly push down on the top point till closed and check the AIR GAP ( see fig6) then release and check the POINT GAP. If you will look on pg.7 it will walk you through it. The biggest problem is when the points get arced up and stop working correctly. Theres not a lot you can do for them believe me I tried. You may be putting the cart before the horse. Make sure your generator is putting out first.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
voltage regulators usually dont need much tinkering with.
To be clear, I'm asking specific questions about adjusting the regulator. Whether or not I need to adjust it, I want to KNOW it's set correctly.

For example today, I found that the generator I have has a 65A outside and the rest was -61. So, the terminals stamped A and F are opposite of what they should be, which is a problem for obvious reasons.

Best I remember on the cutout just lightly push down on the top point till closed and check the AIR GAP ( see fig6) then release and check the POINT GAP.
So, you are saying that spec for the air gap measurements for both Cutout Relay and Voltage Regulator are as measured when their respective points are closed, correct? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be clear, I'm asking specific questions about adjusting the regulator. Whether or not I need to adjust it, I want to KNOW it's set correctly.

For example today, I found that the generator I have has a 65A outside and the rest was -61. So, the terminals stamped A and F are opposite of what they should be, which is a problem for obvious reasons.

So, you are saying that spec for the air gap measurements for both Cutout Relay and Voltage Regulator are as measured when their respective points are closed, correct? Thanks in advance.
Delco Remy service bulletin #1R-116 pg.7 bottom left side of page "Voltage Regulator"----- Read the complete article. Refer to your owners manual for the gap . Should be about .075

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Delco Remy service bulletin #1R-116 pg.7 bottom left side of page "Voltage Regulator"----- Read the complete article. Refer to your owners manual for the gap . Should be about .075
Never mind Hubbard, I got the info elsewhere. It was a simple question/explanation, so either you know the answer and for some reason refuse to share, or you are just working on upping your post count I guess. My first post was as follows and quite clear (and it's not like I read everything but kept skipping page 7).
Couple things that don't make sense to me from the manual and bulletin:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Never mind Hubbard, I got the info elsewhere. It was a simple question/explanation, so either you know the answer and for some reason refuse to share, or you are just working on upping your post count I guess. My first post was as follows and quite clear (and it's not like I read everything but kept skipping page 7).
My mistake ,won't happen again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.