Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion - mismatched wheels and tires look cheesy!

Let's here your opinion?

Don't take it wrong - I like whitewalls if there on both ends!

Just wondering!

duki

·
Registered
581 Posts
Re: May I ask why people only put one whitewall tire on the back and not on the front?

Wide white rear ribbed front its a classic chopper look, IE. Thats the exact tire combo I am going with on my 66 T100

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
back in the day the only whitewall tires available were the 16" tires that came on big twins (harleys,indians). the smaller sizes came on brit bikes and were blackwalls. so to have a big/little combo you ran a harley wheel/tire on the back and a brit wheel/tire on the front. but i'm with you, i prefer that the tires match. my fl has wide white 16s on both ends, my xs is running blackwalls.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Re: May I ask why people only put one whitewall tire on the back and not on the front?

Craven Moorhead said:
Wide white rear ribbed front its a classic chopper look, IE. Thats the exact tire combo I am going with on my 66 T100

that bike is shithot! i got a new screen saver now.

·
Registered
581 Posts

beatcad said:
that bike is shithot! i got a new screen saver now.
The bike was built by nutrocker @ chopsnbobbers.com, the have had bikes all over the site they do great work.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Okay, opinions?
Everyone's got one. Obviously, the cats dig the look.
ME?
I go for LOWKEY. I like metal, chrome, the black that occurs on a machine naturally, and whatever color I may or may not paint the bike. That's it..No wacky wires, oddball stickers or heavily contrasting details...too jarring, let the mill do the talkin'.
When I see bikes like I describe, it just says "classic" to me.
But I know these other dudes, they LOVE flattops, and whitewalls.
Cool, they probably look at my mop, and my ride and would love it, if ONLY I would slide a whitewall on the back, and get a haircut..Hahahaaaa!!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
caffeine said:
a quote from CJ Allan "Back in the day the reason we ran white walls is because we stole em' from the rich guys with dressers, and even then we painted those ugly fuckers black with shoepolish!"
I'm not sure about the stealing part, but the only scooters that ran white walls around here were garbage wagons and "scrounger" bikes. If you had the bucks to buy a new rear tire, it was a blackwall. If you scrounged used parts, you got what you could find that was better than what you had.
Larry T

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

I don't really like whitewalls on bikes.....unless MAYBE its a double skinny line...you know the ones I mean?

I think it carries over from my taste in cars.
On any rim with "windows" (mags, slotted aluminums, wire wheels) a black sidewall just looks better to me & I suppose a spoked motorcycle wheel is just a tall skinny wire wheel.

·
Registered
625 Posts

i just use what ever someone gives me when they got to change.. usually i can get a couple thousand mile outta a tire that cost me nuthin..
if i get a white wall fine.. if i get a black wall.. fine as well.. the price is right..

butche

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dig it all! One white, all black, double whites, red stripe, white stripes, all looks cool. Just when you think you dig a style, wham......someone creates a new combo. Thats what I dig, going fast, and putting stuff together that people absolutely get or dont get. I like when people get pissed that I cut something up, makes my day! Run whatcha brung!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Yeah, well CJ is right.

When I started riding in '68, the only guys that had whitewalls were the dresser riders and AMA types.

If you HAD to use a whitewall tire, you went down to the auto parts store and bought a pint of Westleys Tire Black, and took it off before you mounted the tire.

Otherwise, you never heard the end of it from everybody. Whitewalls were definately NOT cool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

shitbird said:
Okay, opinions?
Everyone's got one. Obviously, the cats dig the look.
ME?
I go for LOWKEY. I like metal, chrome, the black that occurs on a machine naturally, and whatever color I may or may not paint the bike. That's it..No wacky wires, oddball stickers or heavily contrasting details...too jarring, let the mill do the talkin'.
When I see bikes like I describe, it just says "classic" to me.
But I know these other dudes, they LOVE flattops, and whitewalls.
Cool, they probably look at my mop, and my ride and would love it, if ONLY I would slide a whitewall on the back, and get a haircut..Hahahaaaa!!
I like the way you think! hehehehehehe!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Irish Rich said:
Yeah, well CJ is right.

When I started riding in '68, the only guys that had whitewalls were the dresser riders and AMA types.

If you HAD to use a whitewall tire, you went down to the auto parts store and bought a pint of Westleys Tire Black, and took it off before you mounted the tire.

Otherwise, you never heard the end of it from everybody. Whitewalls were definately NOT cool.
In 68 - I was 3 years old - but I can remeber around 8 or so - my dad not likin the whitewalls either. He rode an old ironhead - purple metalflake (old style)

But I do like white walls on both ends like this classic Guzzi!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Tony Bones said:
You shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.
And why is that?

Who made you the authority on individual taste?

·
Registered
360 Posts

You can only put ONE tire in the back, period. Unless you have a DUALLY:D

·
Banned
2,854 Posts

I like wide whites....in certain cases. The white dresser is horrible in my opinion.....Looks like a cowboy bike. But what do I know anyway????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts