Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I found a smoking deal (couple hundred bucks) on an 82 Yamaha Maxim 1100 that has been sitting indoors for 5 years. (Not this one pictured, that is just for your reference). Owner says it won't start because the battery is dead and it's all dusty and stuff. I figure, rebuild the carbs, change the fluids and pop in a new battery and like most Jap iron it'll probably fire right up. I've never paid attention to these bikes before, but the htttp://www.bratstyle.com site is inspiring to say the least. I'm thinking the 1100cc motor and shaft drive set up with such a short looking wheelbase is probably a rocket ship waiting to happen. Strip off everything not required to run, lower it, paint most shit black, make a slimline seat and pop an old peanut and some clubmans on there and it might actually be not that gay. Maybe even a matching pair of 18" HD mags if I can figure that out with the shaft drive (not likely).

Anyone know anything about these bikes? Anything to stay away from?

BTW, the Triumph is running great for the last week, hence the new project already. Can you say ADHD? Oohh, look a birdie...

-Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
Maxims, Radians...

Will Americans finally get the jap bike bug that's sustained low-income nipponese ninjas for decades?

After seeing Billdozer's muse, I started digging around for a kooky bike, too,

check out this lively machine:

Anyone have experience or knowledge on the yamaha Radian? Sounds like some sort of Canadian market street bike to me, but I bet you could breath on 'er a little bit and make something fun....

sionara!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ive ridden an 1100 maxim before & i remember it being a pretty fun bike. i think i recall that shaft setup really shoving the rear wheel into the ground (aka lifting the rear of the bike up). that could be an attribute or a flaw depending on how you look at it. we took it in the woods too. its not too bad at flattracker slides (until the ass end comes around) ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
halwade said:
Maxims, Radians...

Will Americans finally get the jap bike bug that's sustained low-income nipponese ninjas for decades?

After seeing Billdozer's muse, I started digging around for a kooky bike, too,

check out this lively machine:

Anyone have experience or knowledge on the yamaha Radian? Sounds like some sort of Canadian market street bike to me, but I bet you could breath on 'er a little bit and make something fun....

sionara!
the Yami Radian came out in the mid 80's i think. its really a "baby Fazer" ("Fazer" was a 700/750cc what you'd call "street fighter" today: basic, sporty, un-faired and mean). the "Fazer" was a "baby" FZ(R)750 i think...if i have my bikes rights. basically a nice, fast inline 4.

http://pics.hoobly.com/full/8cb26f0c6a160c3131e7c009753695f5.jpg

i think they're all fast, really. sorry for the jap bike rant.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've had both a maxim and a radin .
Made a cheap ass drag bike out of the radian also made a buddy a cafe racer out of it after I sold it to him
Bill , I got what you need !! A 16" spoke rim atached to a shaft drive !! Complete with pumpkin drive shaft and tire .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts