Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,not sure if this is the appropiate area for this,but Im sure someone will chime in with a witty retort. I just bought a 1958 Matchless G50 basket case,and was wondering if anyone on here can lead me to any information..I need to know EVERYTHING! parts sources,manuals,diagrams,photos,etc. Yes,Ive spent all morning looking on the internet.I am finding very little in the way of information on this damn bike. I always end up with these obscure pieces of shit..
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Road race..Has clip-ons,afftermarket cafe style seat,etc.I still have to inventory what all is there,and Ill get some pics up tonight after work if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, please get some pics up. They are still being made in England and I think Australia so parts are still available, many upgrades too. Also check AJS 7R, same thing, only 350cc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do,and thank you both for the information. I did see that they are being made in England..This one is a 1958 model.Thats all I know for now.Picked it up at 930 last night,and had to go to work this morning at 6am..Guess what Ive been thinking about all day instead of the task at hand??

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Pictures please!!! You don't stumble across a G50 everyday. And a build thread when you start the restoration. Obscure piece of shit it isn't. When put together right they could run with a Manx Norton. There were a lot of them out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,the " obscure p.o.s." comment was only referring to the fact that I always end up with things that arent exactly commonplace. Some consider it luck,but when you're on a shoestring budget,sometimes even the best scores can seem like a curse at times. This bike will obviously require a spendy restoration to period race specs at least. anyone who would chop it up should be drawn and quartered.IMO,of course.pics in a couple of hours..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disappointing end to the story here guys..just went thru the pile of parts and it turns out the engine at least is a G80CS.Cant get to the frame yet. Sorry to get everyone all riled up.at least its a nice bunch of parts,and I only paid $500.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
G80CS? Still riled up!!! Got to ride one in my teens. Dreamed about one for years. $500? You stole it. Build thread please.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Pile of G80 parts, where have I heard that before? Here's mine, not even really a mock-up, just some of the parts kinda gathered together and arranged in the shape of a motorcycle.

You should definately post pics and keep us updated on whatever progress you make. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK,heres what exactly transpired.I saw an ad on Craigslist for a "1958 MATCHLESS g50 BASKET $500 OBO" I was the first to reply,and he said he knows nothing about it except it originally was his buddies Grandfathers bike,who road raced it in the Ottawa,Canada area in the 60's.The Grandfather died,passed it on to said buddy,who also died,but he gave it to the guy I got it from.Still with me? Anyway,it was in the basement,and he said he has ZERO interest in it,and he is moving to France soon,so it has to go.I look at it thinking it is what it was advertised as,especially since it has the "road race" look,and I bought it and got it out of there ASAP. I made a big flap about it being a G50,and turns out its a 1965 G80CS engine.I still cant complain,and its still a neat looking bike,but again,I feel like a moron.Here are some pics.All the missing parts are in boxes,with the exception of the parts removed for racing..If anyone knows any history on the bike please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice score. There was G80 vintage class racer here late 70s, built by Warren Wheeler. Unlikely it is the same bike, only thing the same is the seat, tank and engine, but I had a "holy shit" moment and thought I knew the bike.
An old British thumper cafe racer...it doesn't get better than that. I had a Velo an I'll tell you, a light 500 single in cafe trim is the real thing. Some consider the G80 on par with a Gold Star or Velo Thruxton.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts