Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
thanks for the link- good to see some old iron there. that knuck does kick ass...

I grewup in that area...damn, now I miss the ol'dairy on Sunday mornings! walk around, drink a coffee checkout some cool bikes while the morning burns off, then hit some great roads on the NY/CT border.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, but some dude thinks that "dark side of the moon" tank is awesome and is psyched to ride it. i say "live and let live", at least he's out on two wheels. that's one of the things about marcus, there is just about every kind of bike on display...something for everyone. sportbikers doing wheelies, harley riders, newbies, old timers, everyone's just pretty much happy to be there, cuz there's not much else going on around here bike-wise. unfortunately, the turnout is lacking heavily in the JJ-style rides, but at least sean is there representing with his ride. when flatironmike shows up with the "mule" there's always a huge crowd of gawkers. it's funny to hear them try to figure out his bike.

Anthem said:
That knuck and that BMW are sweet! but I think that floyd bike is kinda silly.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey, I think I'll have to try and make it out there...what time do things get started and what time do they end?

It's a bit of a ride first thing in the morning, but hey, what the hell, right?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
KnuckleBuster said:
Hey, I think I'll have to try and make it out there...what time do things get started and what time do they end?

It's a bit of a ride first thing in the morning, but hey, what the hell, right?
It goes in waves....I've heard that the real old-timers (vintage Beemers, british, etc), dudes who have been doing the run since the beginning, get there real early, 6 am maybe? I'll never get my ass out of bed that early, so I'll never know for sure, it could be a myth. Around 8am the place is hopping but you can still get a table or stool at the booth for grub. 9am-11am, solo riders and groups come and go. I've never really stayed there past 11, so not sure what goes on later, but it probably thins out a lot. I've only been there a handful of times. Sean (see the other thread, his intro) could fill you in more since he's family there. Maybe I'll see you around. Let me know when you're heading down. Sometimes I ride with flatironmike up there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yea it goes from 6am-Noon. The BMW and Guzzi guys show up the earliest and then it just grows. Peak hours are 8:30am-11am. By noon it is pretty deserted. What is cool is that it is an informal gathering. Lots of people who love bikes. Some people come to hang out for hours and others just stop in for some chow and to meet friends and go for a burn.

We have been open since 1947 and always had bikes but in the 60's the sunday am gathering started to take some shape. In 83 the New York Times did an article and it just popped. Since then it has just grown steadily.

Sean.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is every sunday.

We used to do Super Sunday (150 vendors, paid admission etc.) 3x per year- Spring, Summer, Fall but we got shut down by the city for political rerasons after our 2003 season. Our largest event was Spring 2003 where we got a little over 12,000 people in 7 hours. Now we do Cycle Sunday 1x per year (July 9) 2 miles down the road at Western CT State University's West Side Campus. We use the whole place and have vendors inside the 36,000 sq/ft arena and outside in one of their main lots. It is not the same and we only get 5000-6000 people but since it is State land and outside the city's juristiction it was our only opportunity. We are trying to hold a fall event at the Dairy but we will see. When the Mayor shut us down it did not matter that we had raised over $500,000. for local charities since 1991. Said it wasn't his problem.

Sean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts