Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
on a generator big twin I like points and my old manual retard timer best (a morris mag's nice too); 6 or 12v ok. I dont have any experience with the mallory's or other electronic conversions...anyone?

also there's the Sputhe gear case cover for generator BT's that allows you to run any late model ignition system...it may be functional but it's ugly as a bag of assholes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
yard man said:
Any major downsides to running one over a more modern ignition system?
Can they only be used with 6 volt?
Points wear out, but they won't leave you stranded like a cooked electronic ignition can. I have no personal experience with the Mallory setup, but I've heard good things about them. Fwiw, run a Dyna S single-fire in my cone shovel.

You must manually retard the timer to start the bike, then advance it all the way to run. '64-down FLs had an advance control on the lh grip, which I like. Some prefer to reach down and move the timer by hand after starting.

Full advance at slow engine speeds (lugging in higher gears) can cause pinging. Neglecting to advance the timing can overheat the motor.

Manual timers are as simple as it gets. No advance weights to wear out or stick. If you don't want to screw with the advance but want points, get a 65-69 BT timer and a good set of advance weights. I run a Rivera setup in my shovel. You'll probably have to play with the flyweight springs to dial in the advance curve and to get the weights to return properly at idle.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
an old trick for the manual timer and likewise mags, when not running the spark-advance cable, was to have a coil spring secured to the case & around the body of the timer or mag; and the hold-down set so that you could move it both ways by hand, and the spring keeps it held in the advance position.

and as for electronic setups, here's another option - I have'nt run one but have heard good reports on them.

fits inside the stock timer housing so looks oem, fits '36 > '69.

http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here's a look at a Manual retard with a spring hooked to the frame to keep it advanced. I ran this set up for 17 years as the pad that located the advance cable was shaved off when I got the bike. I'm using a later model auto advance Harley unit now. It's a lot less hassel and by changing advance springs I can have an advance curve now. With the old set up you basicly had (retard--advance) and no transition inbetween. The auto advance is a much nicer set up, A lot quicker take offs and it sounds like a Harley at idle now, without having to screw around with the distributor.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
I also like the auto-advance units, equipped with Blue Streak points. When attached to a Dyna coil and a set of Bosch platinums, it is a great running and simple system, they also make static timing the engine a breeze.

For "wow" factor though, nothing gets a RUB all stirred up and mystified seeing someone retard a mech unit, run the engine through with key off, prime, enrich, key on, kickstart and then advance the dizzy while holding a Corona in one hand and further *****-lipping a Camel filter.

They will spit latte foam out their nostrils every time, and it causes the RUB women to get all juicy and a little bit faint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts