Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^^^ Say that five times fast!

Anyone know a good method for making the indentations or dimples in a front fender to accommodate the fork tubes?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
with a hammer.... lol

cut a piece of tube around the fork tube then cut and weld it in the fender and grind and shape it. or use the piece of tube/heavy pipe to hammer the fender into.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I was thinking of making a wood form with the indent, heating up the area to be dimpled and using a piece of steel tubing appropriately sized to hit with a hammer to push the fender into the wood form.

Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds a bit Barbaric, but one way I have skun this cat is too open the jaws on my big vice the distance I need the dimple to be (Soft jaws on would be best!). Mark the fender where you need the dimple to be, and lay the fender across the open jaws 90 degrees to the opening. Find an old socket just a hair larger than the fork tube your dimpling for, lay it on the fender parallel with the vice jaws and give it a whack with whatever instrument of hittin' stuff you have around (my preference being a dead blow hammer). It might take a couple of hits to get where you want it to be, but its a good start.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
with a hammer.... lol

cut a piece of tube around the fork tube then cut and weld it in the fender and grind and shape it. or use the piece of tube/heavy pipe to hammer the fender into.
I'd do exactly this^^^. Get some exhaust tubing the correct diameter(raw, not coated), cut the area out and weld the tubing in. That should be your cleanest option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts