Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cover and a pan for my CB750 seat, but the old foam disintegrated when I pulled off the cover. Does anyone have a source for pre-cut seat foam? How about a source for foam blanks? I could probably cut my own foam to size if I could find a block of the stuff.

Thanks,
JEB

·
Registered
421 Posts
JEB said:
Does anyone have a source for pre-cut seat foam? How about a source for foam blanks? I could probably cut my own foam to size if I could find a block of the stuff.

Thanks,
JEB
JEB, I'd PM Fatluckys (Sean) and ask. He knows a lot about the various kinds of foam available out there.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
A friend of mine has this great stuff that I believe you can get in heat supply stores.
Its sort of like that black pipe insulation but its alot thicker & heavier....and comes in sheets.
I think its used to wrap square heat duct.

·
Registered
181 Posts
there is probably a supplier not far from you....I'd check the yellow pages...mock it up...cut it with an electric kitchen knife...boom...good to go!

also hit up www.sohc4.net and check there

·
Registered
401 Posts
Man, everyone is making this too complicated...............

1. Find a fabric store near you and get some foam.... you'll know it's right when you touch it..... should be firm yet a little spongy........

2. Get some 3M spray-on glue (to glue to foam to the seat pan....

3. Get a cheap electric carving knife - can be had for udner $10...

Now glue the foam to the pan and carve to your liking...........Really easy..........Believe me, I made my own pan and foam and it worked like a charm..... the seat cover is another story.... you might turn to a pro for it.... especially if every odd wrinkle is gonna bug you like it does me...........

Tim

·
Registered
504 Posts
Listen to Hex, he's right on.

This seat i made for my norton. Now i don't recommend a strange irregular seat pan with any angles. the more round the easier. I found the foam from a shop that repairs uphostery. (not the old lady shops, they won't have the good foam, but sail boat shops, or good car upholstery shops)

The leather i got from Tandy.Com and it's belly leather. I used stamps for the small card designs (the hearts and spades) but i traced the outside with a carving knife. then i used brown and red dyes to make an english leather look since my bike is english.

Like Hex Said, For the stiching, take it to a professional. now some pro's won't let you make your own sides and top. (I was gonna have the guy that does billy lanes seats in melbourne since i live in cocoa beach sometimes) but i was told he won't do it if you already have most of the work done, no enough money in it for him. so i was like, fuck now what.

then i found this really shady uphosterer on the crack side of town in cocoa. the guy had crack whores in the shop and i was like, what the thell. but he hooked me up and here it is. all he did was stitch it but that's the hardest part.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on! Snorton, I was admiring your seat on another post. I dig the rubbed out color of the leather.

Thanks for the help. I'm off to Cloth World to see what kind of foam they have. This seat is thick (about six inches), a lot thicker than most of the homemade chopper seats I've seen.

-JEB
snortonnorton said:
Listen to Hex, he's right on.

This seat i made for my norton. Now i don't recommend a strange irregular seat pan with any angles. the more round the easier. I found the foam from a shop that repairs uphostery. (not the old lady shops, they won't have the good foam, but sail boat shops, or good car upholstery shops)

·
Registered
504 Posts
yeah, good luck. you'll be suprised at what you can make if you just go for it.

but not the stitching. you're first time of stitching never comes out right. !!!

show us your progress and maybe we can help you along the way. you got a digital camera?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forget about Cloth World grandma, in Houston call Mosehart-Schleeter-800-392-3581. Or take some of my foam scraps. I'll post some foam carving pictures soon.

·
Registered
421 Posts
fatluckys said:
Forget about Cloth World grandma, in Houston call Mosehart-Schleeter-800-392-3581. Or take some of my foam scraps. I'll post some foam carving pictures soon.
See JEB? <in my best Ricky Ricardo accent> I TOOOOOOOOOLD you, Lucy! :D

Now I gotta go check this place out. Sean, do they do walk in business or are they just mail order/warehouse type stuff?

·
Registered
106 Posts
For the design....is foam better than batting to give it shape?
Does the material have to be glued together (Vinyl, foam, backer) to get the right "Tufted" appearance?
I'm playing with a go-kart seat and not having the best of luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BigDdy31 said:
See JEB? <in my best Ricky Ricardo accent> I TOOOOOOOOOLD you, Lucy! :D

Now I gotta go check this place out. Sean, do they do walk in business or are they just mail order/warehouse type stuff?
Good call, BigDdy. Sean is hooking me up with some FatScrappys, preciate-cha Sean!

-JB

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stevie G said:
For the design....is foam better than batting to give it shape?
Does the material have to be glued together (Vinyl, foam, backer) to get the right "Tufted" appearance?
I'm playing with a go-kart seat and not having the best of luck.
BTTT.

Could it be that the tension on the thread is adjusted wrong?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts