Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 panhead engine that I am trying to mate up to a 1983 4 spd rotary top transmission. The mainshaft in the trans currently is 12.5 inches long. I know that I will need a shorter mainshaft for the transmission (11.75"). Can I buy an 11.75" mainshaft and install it in my transmission?
The engine I have has been worked over a bit by the previous couple of owners, it has some valve train work done along with STD dual plug heads etc. As far as the bottom end I have no idea if it is stock or not. I had someone tell me the other day that you can get longer or shorter crankshafts to match up with the transmission mainshaft, is this true? If so what measurement can I check to make sure that my engine is of stock configuration.
I just want to make sure I don't have to spend more than necessary to get things right.
Thanks in advance.

G

·
The trans mainshaft would be an easy way to go....
It will plug and play....

Not so much plug and play by going to a longer motor sprocket shaft...
Your 64 shaft is 3.51 long from bearing shoulder to end of small thread..
The taper is 8-1/2 degrees....
The 65-69 is 3.750 long same taper.
The 70-71 is 4.262...".....".......".....

Now if you wanted to go 1/4"or 3/4" longer then the 70-up shafts you would be in need of flywheels for the 81-early 85 motors....These super long shafts are made with the 6 degree "Communized" taper....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Definitely going to go with the offset motor pulley. Should be able to find inserts for this easily I think. Time to start going back together with the trans!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.