Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant get this panhead motor to start with my magneto ill post some pics and a video. I just got it back from joe hunt any advice on timing

·
Registered
61 Posts
The following is for the old style Joe Hunt,if yours has an advancer mechanism do exactly the same thing but hold the adv at full advance when you set the timing.1-set point gap at .015" CLEAN POINTS 2-remove both plugs,timing plug and telescope front intake pushrod tube.3-rotate engine,watch front intake pushrod go up and start down(now we know the compression stroke is next)continue to rotate engine slowly until timing mark on flywheel(a line in this case)appears in timing hole4-install mag and adjust until points JUST break on narrow point cam lobe(narrow lobe is for front cylinder)Lock the mag down and you are done.HTH

·
Registered
887 Posts
Loud blasts out of the pipes, usually means 180 out, or ONE of the plugs is fouled and only sparking on the other one.

Sixball

·
Registered
887 Posts
O, and once you find your not 180 out, on a fixed mag, you have to play with the timming mark. Some are good smack dab in the middle, some entering the hole, some leaving the hole.

I usually have the best luck setting the mark just leaving the hole to get the bike going at first, and tweak from there

Sixball

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds 180 wrong

Do this

Remove front Plug
cover plug hole with Playdough or similar
Remove timing nut
kick over until you hear the play dough pop out , THIS IS YOUR COMPRESSION STROKE the one you must time on
slowly rotate engine until timing mark is between centre & left side of timing hole on the way out

Do not rotate or move engine from this point.

Go round to the mag side and look at the lobe it should be the narrow end just in the position of opening the points. if its not lift the Mag out enough to twist the lobe into the correct position.
If you have a Morris advance/retard push the mag fully advanced.

Then put a voltmeter or test light on the mag cutout screw & the earth on the frame,

Twist the mag until your meter beeps or your test light lights , now lock her down.

Points gap should be 15-18
Plug gaps 20

RETARD THE MAG BEFORE YOU KICK, just pull it back , then when your going to drive away push it forward.

Hope this helps

Paulie Magnetozoo

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just watched your utube video, I have no sound on my computer. So maybe because my sound was off my other senses became more acute. It was obvious even to the casual observer that you are kicking the bike over the wrong way for a bike equipped with a magneto. Push it through untill you are past compression then a little more. Get ready, make sure your knee will acept a kickback if it happens and push it through. You want to spin the motor smoothly and quickly.
In my personal experience starting a big twin with a magneto is much harder on the knees than without a mag, but you gotta love the simplicity. My mag has no provision for retarding but I have found it to be an easy starter.
Doug

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just watched the video myself. Time to go thru everything from the top. You just got the mag back from hunt. So are the points CLEAN? Double check that there is NO grease or anything on them. Also, check for spark with the cap ON. I've had them spark great on the bench, then put them on the bike and kicked and kicked and nothing, only to find out that the cap pinched a wire or mooved a wire and caused it to contact ground etc...

Try .20 on the plugs. Once you establish you are getting spark with the mag on the bike, re-check your timming. Front pushrod loose, front cylinder on the compression stroke, and timming mark just leaving the timming hole. Small lobe on the mag just starting to break the points.

That should get you something. Also like pan61man said, refine your kicking style, and get a smooth fast spin on the motor so you create a fat spark on that mag.

Sixball

·
Registered
833 Posts
Like the other guys said, CLEAN points. I was stuck this summer and had to file an old set down. Apparently I didn't do a good enough job and had to take it all apart again. Second time I filed them right down. Point gap at .015, plugs at about .020.
The Hunt mag is a simple and reliable unit when set up accordingly.
Starting wise, get your kicker right at the top of its stroke, get your engine just over a compression stroke and kcik fast, hard and through.
The way I see some guys try to "pump" the kicker on their bikes (and mine Jesus H Christ) is ridiculous. One kick, from the very top, fast, hard and all the way through to get a nice fat spark.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah i had to jump off the top of a mountain and make sure myfoot fell right on the kicker for a stong downward force. I think ill be signing up for karate now. I can kick hell of hard

1 - 20 of 26 Posts