Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just finished up and fired my pan/shovel. Its running a Mag and a Generator. I just have to kick on it for way too long to get it to fire. I mean way too long and way too hard.

Ok I weigh 150 lbs wet with a brick in my hand. I know that does not help.

Is there anyone here that has any clue on what could help make it easier to fire. Seems that I am not spinning the mag fast enough to get a good spark. It is a Joe Hunt Mag. I am curious if there is different gears for the end of the shaft to change the ratio? I dont know shit about mags. I am not the best at the tuning part of the build. I just dont have anyone around to help me on the tune. So I am just looking to see if there is anything I should check to see that is out of place or just missed tuned.

Yeah this is a stupid question, and it makes for a real hard answer. I just really want to be able to ride the bike I spend monthes building without having to fight to start it. Please no starter remarks, If I could afford one...I would have had one. This bike was built on a budget, with alot fo help from my friends parts piles. I have since moved and dont have the network I once had to help me out with this.

Hell if there is anyone in or around the austin area thats willing to give me a hand or anything like that I would be so grateful.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You should be able to kick it over somewhat reliably if everything is in order. Which tells me there is another problem.

If I'm wrong about that, and I'm wrong a lot, then you could lengthen your kicker to get more leverage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the kicker cant get any longer. I almost hit the ground on it already. The engine is brand new rebuilt. I am know that sitting the rings is a bitch and after 500 miles or so it will be easier to kick. I also know that I should have more ass to kick it then I do. I also know that uping the compression and the Ci to 80 does not help...but this fucker does nto want to kick over for shit.

I think something is out of time or something. But I dont knwo enough on the tuning to make it any better...So thats why I am looking to get some more informed info.

shook said:
You should be able to kick it over somewhat reliably if everything is in order. Which tells me there is another problem.

If I'm wrong about that, and I'm wrong a lot, then you could lengthen your kicker to get more leverage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This could be anything from timing, to the mag's points (condition & setting),
to tunning the carb correctly, to an intake leak, and everything in-between.

People always seem to blame a mag and in the same
sentence admit that they don't know anything about them.
Not saying that you did, just a general observation.

As for the mag - call or write Buck at Goblin Millworx
( http://goblinmillworx.com ) and he'll run you through what to look
for on your mag and how to set it properly for the set up you're running.

What kind of carb is it?

Weyland

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a bendix. I know that the carb is tuned, once we did start the bike after kicking for hours...we went over everything. I am not sure on the points, I was told the mag was new. I will try and call that guy you mentioned.

See I even set the mag at the front cyl top dead center...which is what I thought was right....I could be wrong...

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I run a mag on my old sporty (900) and if you prime it and kick it over with the ignition off it makes starting it easier.It takes some getting used to...I broke my ankle when I first got it going....it took some friendly advice from a old timer to help me out....the mag needs to be timed and check your intake seals .

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
what cam are you running ? some grinds have such early intakes or big overlaps that it's hard to build a fire with a kicker. if you were closer i could probably straighten it out for you. also theres tricks on how to kick a stroker without having to be the hulk. i was 155# most of my life (pushin 200# now) and i learned early. it is possible to have a 2 kick harley but everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) has to be dead nuts on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cam ...all I know is that it has a lil more bump then stock...nothing to be confirmed...since it is a parts bike build up.

I really got to do something here I am going to go insane.
lilbill said:
what cam are you running ? some grinds have such early intakes or big overlaps that it's hard to build a fire with a kicker. if you were closer i could probably straighten it out for you. also theres tricks on how to kick a stroker without having to be the hulk. i was 155# most of my life (pushin 200# now) and i learned early. it is possible to have a 2 kick harley but everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) has to be dead nuts on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Catching up on the threads around here, curious did you ever get this sorted?

Beleive it or not after shortening the gap I was running on my spark plugs from .22 to .20, my Ironhead kicked over a lot easier.

I have my mag set up to retard and advance, this help allot too. ( not sure if you can on a pan).

Also as mention check for intake leaks and at your eariest ditch the Bendix. I wanted "old tech" but it's about riding! Get your money saved up and get an S&S.

Frank in Austin

·
Registered
427 Posts
merg54 said:
Ok I just finished up and fired my pan/shovel. Its running a Mag and a Generator. I just have to kick on it for way too long to get it to fire. I mean way too long and way too hard.

Ok I weigh 150 lbs wet with a brick in my hand. I know that does not help.

Is there anyone here that has any clue on what could help make it easier to fire. Seems that I am not spinning the mag fast enough to get a good spark. It is a Joe Hunt Mag. I am curious if there is different gears for the end of the shaft to change the ratio? I dont know shit about mags. I am not the best at the tuning part of the build. I just dont have anyone around to help me on the tune. So I am just looking to see if there is anything I should check to see that is out of place or just missed tuned.

Yeah this is a stupid question, and it makes for a real hard answer. I just really want to be able to ride the bike I spend monthes building without having to fight to start it. Please no starter remarks, If I could afford one...I would have had one. This bike was built on a budget, with alot fo help from my friends parts piles. I have since moved and dont have the network I once had to help me out with this.

Hell if there is anyone in or around the austin area thats willing to give me a hand or anything like that I would be so grateful.
Ahhh the joys of a magneto...atleast it isn't a stroker..Heh Heh...I no longer run them due to that very reason...auto advance distributor two kicks and it is breathing...but to each there own...good luck..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Has the mag been chromed at anytime after it was bought?

·
Registered
944 Posts
One thing I have discovered is that the timing of the mag is certainly critical.

It's a lot easier with a 'buzz box' to get it spot on.

I kicked my brains out for a while on the shovel when I put the Joe Hunt on, but once the timing was set properly (and it was only ---> <---- out) it was WAY easier to start.

Buck will set you straight, as he did me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.