Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
beings its too damn cold to go anywhere near the shop I've been re-reading some old magazines in the house, found an article about magnetos and the author advised against running a clear mag cover (damn, thats what I got :)) what ones are the best use??

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You want to sell your clear one then?

Dan said:
beings its too damn cold to go anywhere near the shop I've been re-reading some old magazines in the house, found an article about magnetos and the author advised against running a clear mag cover (damn, thats what I got :)) what ones are the best use??

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
rockymtnpits said:
I ran a clear one in all weather from snow, to rain, to 110 degrees.

Never had a problem with it.
from a leak perspective its not usually the cap its the gasket...I had a good bakelite cap but the cork/neo gasket let water in while riding through hard rain, man that was a motherfucker and exactly what drove me to Weyland's setup. I think the next best cap to run is a good old bakelite cap because of its non-conductive and insulating properties...this could be a few of the same reasons why the article is saying to stay away from lexan or plastic mag caps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a clear one on now...been on for 6 years...only problem I've had is it coming loose...have a spare bak-o-lite one ...be interesting to know what the problem with clear ones are.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Why exactly do they advise against using a clear cap? Seems like it's the seal that would be issue, unless there is some time of thermal thing with the plastic itself. I've been thinking of getting a clear one myself for my Joe Hunt so I can keep an eye on the timing and such. Seems like I've been taking the cap off a lot to just check stupid stuff and I'm tired of it.

Who actually sells clear caps to fit a Joe Hunt, or are they all the same for that mag body style (Hunt, Morris, etc.)?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea what brand my mag is I just ordered the clear one out of J&P and it fit, maybe there is no issue with the clear ones, maybe I'll just keep it on till it fails???

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
Dan said:
I have no idea what brand my mag is I just ordered the clear one out of J&P and it fit, maybe there is no issue with the clear ones, maybe I'll just keep it on till it fails???
yeah, if you got it run it...use a fresh gasket if possible.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
been awhile since I ordered it, it wasn't too expensive though, I bet it is on their website if they have one??

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The problem with the plastic caps - either clear or black, is that over time, between snugging them down, and the ozone, they deteriorate and start to get little cracks in them. Especially around the tower insert. Some of the cracks you see, some you don't, and that's where the moisture gets in.

The paper gaskets suck. If you like the plastic caps, at least use the cork/neoprene gasket like Morris Magnetos sells. And, don't crank the fuck out of the cap hold down screws, tighten them just enough to make a seal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts