Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am running a mag on my pan.. still havent got a mag in my paws yet.. but soon. Anyway.. i am kicking this thing.. or will be soon enough.. when i get it together.

What i was wondering was.. wheni was little i saw old timers kicking their bikes over and fiddling with the mag after it was running.. I saw one guy with a bracket that he fliped a lever and turned the mag and started his bike.. then he turned it back and fliped the lever again.

Where can i get one of those brackets/plate setups.

a retard bracket?

Thanks

·
Jumper
154 Posts
magnet said:
All you have to do is put a nut and a lock washer on your mag plate. Leave them loose em=nogh to turnit. Retard it all the way for kicking, advance for riding.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm novel idea.. setting the mag correctly..

Seeing how i have never run a mag before .. i am sure there will be consideable experimenting until i get it right..

thanks for the help.

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
magnet said:
Hmmm novel idea.. setting the mag correctly..

Seeing how i have never run a mag before .. i am sure there will be consideable experimenting until i get it right..

thanks for the help.
Nah, setting a mag up is about a 10 minute job.

Dont sweat it, you can do it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
you can do it bro,.....

you ridin up here saturday for the show?

i figure maybe you have another bike or access to one, i geuss this show is supposed to be REAL cool... germantown hardtail show? im catchin uip with some guys downtown then ridin out...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wes has a mag if your looking for one.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8366

magnet said:
So i am running a mag on my pan.. still havent got a mag in my paws yet.. but soon. Anyway.. i am kicking this thing.. or will be soon enough.. when i get it together.

What i was wondering was.. wheni was little i saw old timers kicking their bikes over and fiddling with the mag after it was running.. I saw one guy with a bracket that he fliped a lever and turned the mag and started his bike.. then he turned it back and fliped the lever again.

Where can i get one of those brackets/plate setups.

a retard bracket?

Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
1965-70 XL Sportsters came with a advance/retard for the magneto. You controled it with the left grip just like the r/h throttle grip for the carb. (internal cables) Guys with chopper bars would put a small spring on the control arm to hold it advanced but still allow it to be retarded for start up. J&P cycles still sells replacement parts for the XL set up. The Sporty base(gear drive) and the main body were two seperate units and Big Twin mags are one piece. Unless someone is making an aftermarket adv/retard Mag for big twins, your out of luck. I ran a Hunt Mag on a 86 inch Hi Compression Pan locked in at full advance and it was a Nightmare!! I only weighed 145#, busted my shin bone and took several trips Over The Bars! You could always pick out the Sporty guys with Mags buy the fact they All Limped around. I soon went back to a distributor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PONY said:
1965-70 XL Sportsters came with a advance/retard for the magneto. You controled it with the left grip just like the r/h throttle grip for the carb. (internal cables) Guys with chopper bars would put a small spring on the control arm to hold it advanced but still allow it to be retarded for start up. J&P cycles still sells replacement parts for the XL set up. The Sporty base(gear drive) and the main body were two seperate units and Big Twin mags are one piece. Unless someone is making an aftermarket adv/retard Mag for big twins, your out of luck. I ran a Hunt Mag on a 86 inch Hi Compression Pan locked in at full advance and it was a Nightmare!! I only weighed 145#, busted my shin bone and took several trips Over The Bars! You could always pick out the Sporty guys with Mags buy the fact they All Limped around. I soon went back to a distributor.
:)

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
PONY said:
I ran a Hunt Mag on a 86 inch Hi Compression Pan locked in at full advance and it was a Nightmare!! I only weighed 145#, busted my shin bone and took several trips Over The Bars! You could always pick out the Sporty guys with Mags buy the fact they All Limped around. I soon went back to a distributor.
I have ran mags on everything up to and including a 103" (10.5:1 cr) shovel.

A few kicks cold and a one or two warm.

If you know how to tune your bike, you won't be having problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts